Gum Paste?

Baking By barbo127 Updated 19 Jun 2010 , 11:56am by sabriana

barbo127 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 6:38pm
post #1 of 6

So here's the deal....Every time I make homemade Gum Paste it seems to be way to soft!!! WAY TO SOFT, so how do I keep that from happening? I was thinking about adding more powder sugar but the recipe only calls for one cup of added sugar to knead in. I followed the recipe step by step. It says to let it rest for eight hours or overnight before kneading in the cup of sugar. So I let it rest overnight before kneading in the cup of sugar, but the gum paste is very very soft. Any ideas, any suggestions I need help!

5 replies
sabriana Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 3:02pm
post #2 of 6

The texture of Gumpaste is entirely dependent on the weather. You may need to add more powdered sugar than the recipe calls for. I add the 1 cup of additional sugar and I really work HARD to get it well kneaded in... You need to be patient - make sure its all worked in and then if it is still too soft, use more sugar - a little at a time - like I use a scant handful and work it in. I find that my homemade gumpaste is softer than the stuff I buy, and it also dries a lot faster.

Good luck

AuntieLane Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 10:07pm
post #3 of 6

Thank You so much. I live in Galveston, Texas. So I have lots of humidity, it is something we are never short of down here that's for sure!!! I will try that though, again thank you. Laurie

sabriana Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 10:13am
post #4 of 6

I live in Ireland and we have LOADS of humidity... rain rain rain always... but I still find I need to slowly add more pwd sugar.

AuntieLane Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 8:21pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you so much for the suggestion. I tried it and it worked perfect!!! It is the exact consistency of the store bought.

sabriana Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 11:56am
post #6 of 6

That's great! Thanks for letting me know.

Quote by @%username% on %date%