Torting A Cake With Coconut

Decorating By slsharratt Updated 17 Jun 2010 , 2:27pm by leah_s

slsharratt Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 4:54pm
post #1 of 8

I torted a cake last month with coconut and it pretty much shredded the cake b/c the coconut got wrapped up in the wire, then i tried the cake knife, and that was pretty bad too.

what do ya'll use?

7 replies
slsharratt Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 11:53pm
post #2 of 8

people, please help!!! we have a friend who wants an italian creme cake next week and i don't want it to rip b/c of the coconut inside!!!

BlakesCakes Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 12:29am
post #3 of 8

Cakes with bits inside: coconut, chocolate chips, raisins can be bears to torte nicely. Yes, the bits get caught up on the knife and tear the cake.

How about baking short layers--1" each--and filling between. No torting necessary and an added bonus is that they bake up very fast and very flat, so no leveling. The con is that if you don't have multiple pans the same size, you need to bake multiple times. Trade-offs, always trade-offs.

HTH
Rae

moxey2000 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 12:45am
post #4 of 8

When I torte a cake that has coconut in it I don't use a cake leveler. I use a long round-end serrated cake knife and a slow, sawing motion. It goes through really well and doesn't tear up the cake.

slsharratt Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 12:54pm
post #5 of 8

thanks!!!

melmar02 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 1:05pm
post #6 of 8

I had the same problem with the last Italian Cream cake I made. Next time I'm going to give the coconut a quick chop in the food processor so the pieces are smaller. My hope is that the leveler won't get caught on all those long strands if they are finer. I think there's probably going to be a thin line between what I have in my mind and chopping it too fine so the texture is off though.

queenfa Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 2:17pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmar02

I had the same problem with the last Italian Cream cake I made. Next time I'm going to give the coconut a quick chop in the food processor so the pieces are smaller. My hope is that the leveler won't get caught on all those long strands if they are finer. I think there's probably going to be a thin line between what I have in my mind and chopping it too fine so the texture is off though.

Actually, this is what i do with my coconut cakes, not because it will rip the cake while torting, but because i personally hate the long strands of shreds, so i always give 1 or 2 spins in my food chopper and it always comes out nicely. It gives tiny crunches of coconut that is not too conspicous. Once, i chopped for too long,it still came out nicely. Pple din't know for sure what it was but I got rave reviews. Try it.

leah_s Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 2:27pm
post #8 of 8

I use the AGbay! It cuts thru everything with complete ease. Even nuts.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%