Pirate Baby Shower Cake?

Decorating By mbark Updated 24 Jun 2010 , 4:00pm by EmilysCakes

mbark Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 4:25pm
post #1 of 11

Hi all,
I am making a baby shower cake for a boy in a pirate theme & have been trying to think of ideas. Last night I had a eureka moment & wanted to see what you think. I want to do a baby like this-

But make him into a little pirate: red with white polka dot head scarf, black & white striped diaper, eye patch, and maybe some cupcakes to match with gold coins. Do you think it's ok to make a baby look like a pirate? It's a surprise for the mom so I can't ask her (although I think she'd like it, she's not too traditional), and the ladies throwing the shower are a little older so might not "get it" (they're all co-workers at my day job). They didn't specify how the cake should look, just that it should be a pirate theme.

I'd appreciate any input and if you have ideas too. Thanks in advance!

10 replies
KCC Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 10:12pm
post #2 of 11

Sounds adorable! Maybe do it in pastels?

mbark Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 11:40pm
post #3 of 11

I ended up running it by the 2 ladies coordinating the shower & they thought it was a really cute idea. I'm gonna run with it! Will post pics next week icon_wink.gif

amarilloyankee Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 12:24am
post #4 of 11

I dont know but here is a baby blanket I made that is pirate themed maybe it will give you an idea of something?

mbark Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 12:43am
post #5 of 11

ok, gonna have to add a parrot to his shoulder now

margaretb Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 3:30pm
post #6 of 11

I can't for the life of me find it now, but when I was making a western cake, one that came up in the galleries was a baby head (similar to the link you posted) with a bandana and cowboy had and an actual soother in his mouth. I printed off the picture, and my 2 year old was NUTS about the cake with the soother. You could do the same thing with a bandana for the hair, eye patch, beard, and the soother.

ngfcake Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 3:40pm
post #7 of 11

Debbie Brown has a cute pirate cake (not exactly for a baby, but it might help).

mbark Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 4:18pm
post #8 of 11

love the idea of the soother! or binky as we called it in my house.
That Debbie Brown cake is darling!

mbark Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:42pm
post #9 of 11
ngfcake Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:59pm
post #10 of 11

So cute!

EmilysCakes Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 4:00pm
post #11 of 11

It turned out great! I love it when people do themes like that and not the ordinary baby shower stuff.

Quote by @%username% on %date%