Suggestions For Jelly As A Filling

Decorating By mahlmann Updated 15 Jun 2010 , 4:41pm by letsgetcaking

mahlmann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mahlmann Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 4:03pm
post #1 of 8

Hi! My friend would like a cake with raspberry as a filling. I have never done this before. Any suggestions on how to best do this. Will the cake get soggy? Should I use a recipe or just jam from a jar?

Thanks!

7 replies
Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 4:12pm
post #2 of 8

There's lots of recipes here for raspberry fillings but I have used seedless raspberry preserves from a jar. I put a very thin layer of buttercream between the cake layers and the preserves and there was no sogginess at all.

nonilm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonilm Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 4:21pm
post #3 of 8

I use straight jam from a jar all the time. Everyone loves it. It does soak into the cake just a tiny bit, but does not make it soggy, there is still a definite layer. I use buttercream to build a dam and fill with jam, not too thick because then your layers will be slipping and sliding all over the place. I just stir the jam in the jar so it will better spread. And seedless is a must!

mahlmann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mahlmann Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 4:33pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks for the tips. Will this work for a stacked cake or will it slip too much?

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 4:35pm
post #5 of 8

I like using a jar of seedless raspberry jam mixed with a small box (I think 3 oz. size) of raspberry jello. Just heat jam in a glass bowl in the microwave for 20-30 seconds until it's warm, then stir in the jello powder. It sets up well and tastes delicious! I put it straight onto the cake (without a thin buttercream layer) and haven't had a problem with it soaking into the cake.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 4:39pm
post #6 of 8

Yes!

Couple of tips. You can seal the cake with some jam that you melt in the microwave then paint on the cake with a pastry brush. Done all the time with pastries to prevent sogginess.

Second, you can doctor up your seedless preserves by melting it and mixing in a little lemon juice, vanilla, and sometimes a hint of nutmeg, or cinnamon, or pepper. Very little of either of these. The flavors can really brighten and freshen up a pre-made jam.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 4:40pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahlmann

Thanks for the tips. Will this work for a stacked cake or will it slip too much?

Won't matter if you adequately support the tiers. The support system takes the weight of the upper tier.

Sandy

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 4:41pm
post #8 of 8

Yes, this will work for a stacked cake. It shouldn't slip, just make sure you surround the filling with an icing dam before you put on the next layer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%