Decision To Make For Business Direction

Business By adamsmom Updated 15 Jun 2010 , 6:07pm by emrldsky

adamsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsmom Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 2:22pm
post #1 of 6

Ok, so this may be a bit long winded, but here goes. I found out early this year that in Indiana (where I live) I can sell non-hazardous food items including cakes, cupcakes at either the local farmer's market or at a roadside stand and do it from my home. Now, they do not allow you to have your personal home kitchen licensed and there are a considerable amount of restrictions/rules you have to follow. Nonetheless, I called and talked with my HD and made sure that I was going to be following all of the rules/regulations to a T so I don't get fined/shut down. I decided to try and start selling at my local FM and have done so since the end of May. I'm getting a bit concerned because the market can be such a fickle thing. One week you can sell out and the next week you have a ton of cupcakes to try and get rid of. Well, after this past weekend I find myself thinking about the option of getting licensed and only taking orders. I just feel like I am wasting money, time and food in the end. I was raised to not waste, and that's just what's happening most weekends. thumbsdown.gif So my question to all of you CCer's is for those of you that have came to these crossroads in your pastlife, what advice do you have for me? And of course I would have a kitchen separate from my house (required by state law). This is really something that I love to do and have such a passion for, I just hate having to loose money on it icon_redface.gif My first wedding cake is coming up this weekend, I'm soo very excited! Just hope that I can get things figured out for next year icon_smile.gif Thanks for any and all advice that you may have.

- Crystal

5 replies
BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 2:34pm
post #2 of 6

I think the first thing you need to do is to crunch numbers. You say you do not like to waste but the cost of a few unsold cupcakes might be a lot less than not being able to cover the rent for the kitchen if you do not get enough orders in through the door. How is the economy in your area? I do not intend for this to be a negative post, if you can make it work then I say go for it!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 2:38pm
post #3 of 6

Business plan. You need to do your research, write a business plan and see if it will work for you. That's the only way to know.

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 2:50pm
post #4 of 6

I believe a lot of people don't do farmers markets and those that do often use it as way promote their business and to sell cakes in the future, not really as a way to make money at the stand.

adamsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsmom Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 3:10pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo2222

I believe a lot of people don't do farmers markets and those that do often use it as way promote their business and to sell cakes in the future, not really as a way to make money at the stand.

I completely agree with you mayo...I guess that's really what I was trying to do...promote my business. I am getting a great response from customers and getting repeat customers. I'm also getting orders for July, so things are going well. I'm certainly not complainig about that. I have been crunching numbers for a few options. Option 1.) We are looking to move next spring and there's a possibility that I could have a building to get up and running for a licensed facility. Option 2.) I have a friend that's working on building a licensed facility for other things that offered for me to pay a little rent per month and I can stock my own oven, etc. Either of these options could be feasible for me. I just needed some general advice on what others have done before. I really appreciate the feedback you all have given me. I guess I just have a lot of thinking to do. Thanks again! icon_biggrin.gif

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 6:07pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo2222

I completely agree with you mayo...I guess that's really what I was trying to do...promote my business. I am getting a great response from customers and getting repeat customers. I'm also getting orders for July, so things are going well. I'm certainly not complainig about that. I have been crunching numbers for a few options. Option 1.) We are looking to move next spring and there's a possibility that I could have a building to get up and running for a licensed facility. Option 2.) I have a friend that's working on building a licensed facility for other things that offered for me to pay a little rent per month and I can stock my own oven, etc. Either of these options could be feasible for me. I just needed some general advice on what others have done before. I really appreciate the feedback you all have given me. I guess I just have a lot of thinking to do. Thanks again! icon_biggrin.gif

Me again! Just make sure you read the requirements thoroughly. I only say this because if you become a licensed food vendor, you cannot sell under HEA 1309. You can do one or the other, but not both. Not sure if you knew that.

It will take some time to drum up business. I have no orders yet, but I also haven't made it to the FM yet either (trying to scrounge some money together for more materials, etc.). However, I do have my business stuff situated and ready to go once I am able to get orders.

I'm also working on the final touches of my draft business plan. You said you're in W. Lafayette, right? Have you visited the Indiana Small Business Development Center? It's free and the local office is on Purdue's campus. I met with a woman there (Heather) and she's been really great, and can offer excellent advice, no matter where you want to take things.

Either way, good luck, and feel free to PM me if you want to share ideas. I think you're farther ahead of me in production, so I'm not sure what I can offer. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%