Need Help Fast - Will My Ri Melt In The Fridge?

Decorating By jlh Updated 17 Jun 2010 , 12:57am by TracyLH

jlh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlh Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 7:05am
post #1 of 8

I'm decorating cupcakes with my royal icing flowers. I made the RI flowers last night. I'm placing them onto my whipped frosting. I plan to refrigerate until tomorrow. Will the RI melt? Should I wait to decorate before I plan to leave?? Thanks so much.

7 replies
jlh Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 7:41am
post #2 of 8

Can anyone help me out. I don't know whether to decorate now, or start cleaining up and wait till morning. Thanks.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 7:50am
post #3 of 8

It would be safer to wait until morning. I don't know for sure that the whipped icing and refrigeration (and possibility of condensation when they come out of the fridge), but my philosophy is "better safe than sorry".

I have refrigerated RI flowers overnight on American buttercream with just a little softening on the edges, but I haven't used whipped icing.

Sorry I can't be more help, but if you can, why not wait?

jlh Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 8:18am
post #4 of 8

Thanks. I will wait until tomorrow. I recall an episode where someone put Buddy's Easter rabbit in the fridge. It was rice krispy treats and RI ....I believe. It melted.

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 9:39am
post #5 of 8

there is a good chance that it will melt, so I agree, rather safe than sorry icon_smile.gif

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 3:34pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh

I'm decorating cupcakes with my royal icing flowers. I made the RI flowers last night. I'm placing them onto my whipped frosting. I plan to refrigerate until tomorrow. Will the RI melt? Should I wait to decorate before I plan to leave?? Thanks so much.

Yes! Do not put RI decorations in the refrigerator, ever! They will melt. This is the first thing they teach in the Wilton course.

RI needs air. Even when you make them, do not store them in air tight containers. A shirt box type of thing works best.

I would put them on at the last minute before I serve them.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 12:47am
post #7 of 8

If the RI pieces are absolutely dry, an air-tight container is fine. The problem is if there is any moisture remaining within the piece, mold and other nasties can set in. I have air-tight containers from flowers I made a year ago, and they're fine. I made absolutely sure that they were dry, though. In my area, the ant problem pretty much prevents keeping anything in non-airtight containers.

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 12:57am
post #8 of 8

My friend who does cupcakes with RI decorations literally adds the RI decorations right before they go on display as they will melt into the frosting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%