How Do I Find The Right Color?

Decorating By mustang1964 Updated 27 Jul 2013 , 7:06am by brendajarmusz

mustang1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mustang1964 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 6:28am
post #1 of 13

I ordered the fuchsia petal dust (crystal colors) from global sugar art. I was trying to get a very dark pink almost red. The color on the website was perfect but when the petal dust arrived it is pale pink. Does anyone have a suggestion for the right color?
Thanks

12 replies
HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 6:46am
post #2 of 13

What are you trying to do with the color?

If you don't need to brush dry, Americolor has shades of pink; both lines.

Please we need more information to help you!

mustang1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mustang1964 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 12:11am
post #3 of 13

I really just want to get a nice color. I am making gumpaste roses which is a first for me and thought if I could come close to the color and then finish it off with petal dust to intensify the color it would be nice. It is also suppose to match a fondant ribbon going around the cake. I wouldn't be worried so much but I don't know how to get everything to match.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 3:20pm
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang1964

I really just want to get a nice color. I am making gumpaste roses which is a first for me and thought if I could come close to the color and then finish it off with petal dust to intensify the color it would be nice. It is also suppose to match a fondant ribbon going around the cake. I wouldn't be worried so much but I don't know how to get everything to match.

I read somewhere (here?) that ground up chalk works. It seems that chalk is "edible", it's just not something I would want to eat. icon_lol.gif At the very least it is food safe. And as my DD points out, it has to be because kids use it and they love to eat stuff. icon_cool.gif

I bought some Crayola chalk to experiment with while I learn how to make and paint gumpaste flowers. After I get the technique down, I'll look for other other stuff. There were deep colors, but not Crayola and very pricey. So I'm saving that for later.

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 11:41pm
post #5 of 13

I know someone who uses chalk. Her flowers always are gorgeous!

I actually like the way her stuff looks. If you want intense, then color the gp and then brush it.

I've never ordered that color and ended up with pale pink. Did you call them? They might have sent you the wrong thing.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 12:14am
post #6 of 13

I use chalk. Go to Michaels or any other craft place. Make sure it says non-toxic chalk. Don't get the oil based chalks. They may have more intense colors, but they aren't non-toxic.

The ones I use come in a 48 pack...two each of 24 colors. They include a large variety of interesting colors, from celery to fuchsia to deep mustard to teal...several shades of pink...I could go on.

The best news? The whole flickin' pack of 48 cost about $7. 24 colors for $7! How many little vials of petal dust can you get for $7?

LindaF144a Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 12:58am
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

I use chalk. Go to Michaels or any other craft place. Make sure it says non-toxic chalk. Don't get the pastel or oil based chalks. They may have more intense colors, but they aren't non-toxic.

The ones I use come in a 48 pack...two each of 24 colors. They include a large variety of interesting colors, from celery to fuchsia to deep mustard to teal...several shades of pink...I could go on.

The best news? The whole flickin' pack of 48 cost about $7. 24 colors for $7! How many little vials of petal dust can you get for $7?

Can you tell me what brand that is?
And how do you grind up your chalk?
Thanks!

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 1:18am
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144

Can you tell me what brand that is?
And how do you grind up your chalk?
Thanks!

The brand I use is Loew Cornell. I'm attaching a pic so you can see what the box looks like. You can't really tell the variations in some of the colors, because they're subtle. But you get the idea.

To grind them I use what I think is a small tea strainer. (also pictured) You just gently rub the chalk as you see it placed in the pic and the dust falls through in a little pile on your work surface below.

LindaF144a Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 12:11pm
post #9 of 13

Thanks!

shanney54 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanney54 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 12:50pm
post #10 of 13

WOW! That's cool! I love this site! I doubt I would have found that otherwise!

michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 7:17pm
post #11 of 13

This is very cool info!! I'd never have thought of this idea with this Wonderful site and All of you wonderful people. I'll have to try this!!

jlh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlh Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 7:33pm
post #12 of 13

I've never heard of this. What a great idea to try. Have you ever tried mixing with alcholol to paint (like you would luster dust)?

brendajarmusz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brendajarmusz Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 7:06am
post #13 of 13

AFor those of you who are looking for the plastic containers that were mentioned they sell them at the dollar tree everywhere, that's where i get mine for making colors and stuff. Hope that helps. Also known as the everything is a dollar store i guess in some places.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%