Another Earthquake In San Diego-Hope Everyone In Sd Oka

Lounge By quilting2011 Updated 17 Jun 2010 , 10:01am by Apti

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 5:57am
post #1 of 14

I hope cc members in San Diego are okay? Everytime I read about earthquakes I get nervous about going to ICES in August.

13 replies
Navyempress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Navyempress Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 6:03am
post #2 of 14

They're becoming a weekly occurrence, unfortunately.. This was the strongest I have ever felt and by far the longest but it didn't do any damage, only knocked stuff over on the mantle and scared the daylights out of me..

CourtneyLS99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CourtneyLS99 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 6:23am
post #3 of 14

I'm a bit more north than San Diego, but I felt it. We've been getting a lot of earthquakes lately...it's really, really scary. I can't wait to move out of Southern California!!

Katie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie1985 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 6:28am
post #4 of 14

i live in los angeles and i felt the earthquake!!! Hope everyone in San Diego is doing well!

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 6:37am
post #5 of 14

I never experienced an earthquake. I lived in New york City all my life.

I worry too much. I always think what if I am in San Diego the big quake hits in August.

I'm glad everyone is ok and no major damages.

jlh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlh Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 7:40am
post #6 of 14

It didn't feel that big. Where was the epicenter? I'm in SD, near the coast. It only shook our chandelier, and made some rattling noises, nothing fell over. Hey, not much comes between me and decorating my cupcakes!

Navyempress Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 5:19pm
post #7 of 14

It felt like it came in two parts. The first few seconds were not that bad, like a typical quake, then a huge jolt that shook the whole house and it kept going. That's when I flew upstairs to get my girls. Then it was over before I got to their room. I hope we are moved before the "big" one hits. I have already been through enough earthquakes here and hurricanes in NC that I am ready to live somewhere peaceful, if there is such a place.

The center was 4 miles from Ocotillo, which is like 80 miles from us. It was pretty big considering they are calling it an aftershock from Easter. My in-laws were visiting on Easter when the first one hit and we were at the zoo. My father-in-law was at the reptiles and the water started sloshing in the cages and he about wet himself. He was afraid the glass would break and the 6-ft python would get out. Haha..

Funny thing was, I was changing my youngest's diaper and didn't even feel it on Easter. I thought everyone was crazy.. Guess it just depends on where you are and what you're doing..

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 5:33pm
post #8 of 14

I'm in Orange County and I felt it! It was actually another aftershock from the bigger quake a few months back. I felt a jolt then shaking for about 5-8 seconds.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 5:37pm
post #9 of 14

I'm in Los Angeles, Last nite I was at a church meeting and was the first one to notice the shaking. I've been feeling all these little tremors lately.

There was a time I used to be scared silly but not anymore. thought we were all going to die in the Northridge quake.

Just goes to show us how prepared we need to be. Its amazing how we don't prepare living in earthquake country.

Hope all are fine! ((( Hugs )))

cakebaby59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby59 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 6:01pm
post #10 of 14

I experienced a 4. something when we lived in Utah...misplaced some pictures on the wall and scared the daylights out of me. I don't know how people live in those areas...I'm way to chicken!!! Sure am glad everyone is ok!!! Linda

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 2:03am
post #11 of 14

I live about 100 miles from the epicenter in the San Diego area. I've lived here all my life so earthquakes don't scare me a bit. (Tornados, blizzards, black ice--now THOSE scare me...) Don't be nervous about coming to ICES, it will be ok. Just train yourself to dive under a table if you feel shaking--no one will laugh, it is automatic for all of us. Disaster people say the biggest danger is from glass from the windows, which is why you go under a table. San Diego buildings are built to withstand earthquakes for the most part, as are our retro-fitted freeways and bridges.

I'm so lucky to be able to have ICES in town my first year decorating! I'm still deciding if I should join, then pay the big bucks for everything or just $50 for the vendor/cake display hall. Any input from y'all?

Navyempress Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 5:39am
post #12 of 14

I was disappointed at first that the convention was in San Diego because we were supposed to move to Virginia before August. THEN we got pregnant (because we thought we were going to be moved before he is born), only to find out two months later that we are stuck here until next Spring! Gotta love the Navy! Now I can't go even though we will be here because I am due August 14th. I can't see paying all that money when I may not be able to go. And with my luck my water would break in the middle of the membership breakfast..

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 1:30pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti

I'm so lucky to be able to have ICES in town my first year decorating! I'm still deciding if I should join, then pay the big bucks for everything or just $50 for the vendor/cake display hall. Any input from y'all?

If you can afford it, do the whole thing. Honestly, the vender room and the cake room are such a small part of the whole convention. You will learn all kinds of cool information, meet some really cool cake people, and more than likely have a blast.

I've been to 5 conventions, and have yet to regret going. Over all I have enjoyed 98% of the demo's I've watched. There is only one demo I really remember sitting in and wishing I could walk out, and that was just cause it didn't interest me at all.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 10:01am
post #14 of 14

TexasSugar- I did it! I signed up for ICES membership today and the only hands-on class that wasn't sold out (3-D Cookie - Under the Sea) and nearly all the demonstrations I really wanted! Your response gave me the 'kick' I needed to sign up--I don't know why I waited.

I think I'm still overwhelmed with my fascination with sugar craft and how deeply interested I am in all facets of cakery. I've never had a hobby of any kind before, and after 4 Wilton courses, I'm well and truly hooked!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%