Tinting Homemade Fondant

Decorating By Motta Updated 16 Jun 2010 , 9:27pm by mamawrobin

Motta Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 4:49am
post #1 of 11

I just tried Michele Fosters Fondant recipe
and it looks very promising! I thought about all the money it could potentially save me. But, I like to have colored fondant around.

Is it best to tint it when you first assemble it, before letting it rest overnight? Or best to tint it once it's firmed up?

10 replies
hvanaalst Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 5:02am
post #2 of 11

If I need a lot of one color, I tint the melted marshmallows before I add the sugar. Otherwise I make it all white and color it after it has rested.

mamawrobin Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 11:54am
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motta

I just tried Michele Fosters Fondant recipe
and it looks very promising! I thought about all the money it could potentially save me. But, I like to have colored fondant around.

Is it best to tint it when you first assemble it, before letting it rest overnight? Or best to tint it once it's firmed up?

I use Michele Foster's fondant exclusively and I always tint after it's rested overnight. It takes color very well thumbs_up.gif. You can add color to the syrup/gelatin mixture when making but I never do because I never need that much of one color.

mamawrobin Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 12:08pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvanaalst

If I need a lot of one color, I tint the melted marshmallows before I add the sugar. Otherwise I make it all white and color it after it has rested.

There are no marshmallows in MFF.

Motta Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 1:47pm
post #5 of 11

mamawrobin - Do you use this fondant at the bakery where you work? or just at home when you're making a cake?
I'm just wondering how big a batch you can make in a big mixer (if you make it at work). It's pretty sticky until you roll it onto a surface for kneading!

mamawrobin Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 5:03pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:

mamawrobin - Do you use this fondant at the bakery where you work? or just at home when you're making a cake?
I'm just wondering how big a batch you can make in a big mixer (if you make it at work). It's pretty sticky until you roll it onto a surface for kneading!

I make it at home and for work. The taste is so good that it's what our customers prefer. At home I do one batch in my Sunbeam mixer (can't afford a KA) At work we have a very large mixer and do several batches at once.

Mine isn't "sticky" when I turn it out onto my worktable. I let it knead in the mixer and add powdered sugar until I can stick my finger in the fondant and it leaves an impression but none sticks to my finger.

Motta Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 10:12pm
post #7 of 11

OHhhh, that's smart to add the powdered sugar in the mixing bowl rather than on the kneading surface.

Another question - I just tried to roll it out but it's still quite sticky even with lots of powdered sugar added. I can add more but is that normal?

mamawrobin Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 10:28pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:

OHhhh, that's smart to add the powdered sugar in the mixing bowl rather than on the kneading surface.

Another question - I just tried to roll it out but it's still quite sticky even with lots of powdered sugar added. I can add more but is that normal?

I've never had a problem with it being "sticky". How much powdered sugar did you add as it was kneading in the mixer? I always add at least 3 pounds of sifted ps as it's mixing. I use almost 3 1/2 pounds of powdered sugar for each batch of MFF.

Motta Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 1:30am
post #9 of 11

I used about 2.5 lbs because the instructions said to use 2 lbs added to the liquid mixture. Then add as needed to get it thick. I noticed the recipe called for 3.5 lbs though. I thought the additional was for adding as needed but I see that's not it.

I'll add more sugar next time. Thanks so much for your help!

LindaF144a Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 3:16pm
post #10 of 11

This may not be of any help, but I thought I would pass on this interesting observation.

On on the those food network shows (can't remember the name - the one where they show how the food is made) they showed the decorator icing that is sold in the tubes being made. They tint it the color they want by tinting the sugar before everything else is added. I found it interesting. It makes me wonder if colored sugar would work. But then again I don't remember how much sugar is in Michele's recipe.

mamawrobin Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 9:27pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144

. But then again I don't remember how much sugar is in Michele's recipe.

About 3 1/2 pounds or a little less. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%