Foamcore Board For Cake Boards !!!! Great Price...wow

Decorating By bmoser24 Updated 18 Jun 2010 , 10:39pm by shari22

bmoser24 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 2:26am
post #1 of 14

I thought I'd share that I found 20 x 30 boards at Dollar Tree for $1..... you can order online if yours doesn't carry, and they will ship to the store!!Walmart sells them for under $3. $1 Wins!!!! thumbs_up.gif

13 replies
BlakesCakes Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 2:36am
post #2 of 14

Not to burst a bubble, but at my Dollar Tree, they have foam core boards, too.

They are very poor quality, the surface is dull, and I know from experience that things DO seep into the paper coating much more quickly than with the foam core that I get from Michael's or Hobby Lobby (slightly thicker and a much, much heavier paper surface).

I honestly don't think they compare in quality to the boards from Michael's or HL.

In a pinch, I would tape 2 or 3 together for a decorative bottom board--but NOT for a very large/heavy cake--they just seem to bend tooooooo easily.

Sorry.
JMHO
Rae

Rosey1120 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 11:25pm
post #3 of 14

Thank you for sharing but I saw them at Dollar Tree and got all excited until I looked closely. Watch for sales at Michaels and AC Moore (hopefully they are near you). I've gotten them there for anywhere betwwen $1. & $1.50 on sale and they were much better. A couple of weeks ago AC Moore had them for $1.29.

bmoser24 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 11:31pm
post #4 of 14

No they are not the same quality, but That is what i use them for....a bottom board,thay work perfectly! i double, cover, add feet(with scraps, allows me to move easily), and ribbon...all for under $2. I just did a 3 tier- 14, 10, 6, square grad cake...actually 2, and it must have weighed 30 lbs. or more. it didnt bend and it traveled 70 miles. I'm happy to save when I can, and have a great presentation of my cake!

Doug Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 11:34pm
post #5 of 14

i too will get them there. -- MUCH more economical as DollarTree is right here where I live and Michaels/A C Moore/Hobby Lobby are all almost 40 miles away. So cheaper to buy boards here -- even if I have to double them up.

HINT -- instead of taping them together which still allows flexing...

GLUE them together. I use spray adhesive (do this OUTDOORS!)

and ....

if only need board no wider than narrow dimension of the foamcore --rotate one layer 90 degrees, glue and trim --- will be very strong.

shari22 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 12:05am
post #6 of 14

Can you guys a post a picture to see what they look like? Thanks. icon_sad.gif

debbie1234 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 2:58am
post #7 of 14

Just wondering if these boards that you are talking about are the same as the Wilton Cake Boards that you can purchase from Wal-Mart? I know that on a lot of the cakes that I have done, I have had to stack a couple of the Wilton Cake Boards together in order to support the weight of the cake and if I can buy some of the same boards from the Dollar Tree, it would save me a lot of money in the long run.

bmoser24 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 3:51am
post #8 of 14

you can look on my pics....my cakes are sitting on them...esp. the blue graduation cake. you can see how the cake board sits off the table a bit, enough to get fingers under to pick up. I use scraps to make "legs" and this gives extra support. I hot glue together...and cover with contact paper.One cake has scrap book paper covered with clear contact. Sometimes i use fondant. The actual cake is sitting on a wilton cake round. I only put on decorated cake board when i'm finished decorating the actual cake. The cake does not touch the contact paper.

bmoser24 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 4:11am
post #9 of 14

Oh yeah, they look so nice some ppl actually save them and give them back...lol. Remember to use double stick tape to secure cake. i just loop some duct or clear. It will be slick, and you dont want your cake sliding in the car, or when you move, just ask me how i know...grrr.

shari22 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 12:11pm
post #10 of 14

Thats a cool idea!! On the graduation cake, how many foamcores did you put together?

slsharratt Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 2:12pm
post #11 of 14

are these the same boards that we used to use for science and history fair projects?

mayo2222 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 7:22pm
post #12 of 14

Yes, were are these boards located in Michaels. What department?

Rosey1120 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 10:37pm
post #13 of 14

I've only bought them on sale and then they were on an endcap. I believe you'll find them near the oaktag and art supplies.

shari22 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 10:39pm
post #14 of 14

You can find them at Walmart, Target, Walgreens, like wherever the school supplies are. HOpe this helps! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%