How To Prevent Wavy Color Flow Designs?

Decorating By nonilm Updated 16 Jun 2010 , 3:28pm by LindaF144a

nonilm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonilm Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 1:03am
post #1 of 9

OK, what's the secret to keeping the parchment from warping when making a color flow piece? I tape the design to a sturdy baking tray, then I try to tape the parchment to the tray over the design. Looks great. It seems as soon as the moisture from the color flow hits the paper it ends up getting wavy. The tape doesn't actually stick to the parchment so it doesn't keep it pulled flat. I am using Wilton parchment paper. I tried to take a photo but it doesn't show up very well. If you look at the right side of Elmo he has a big wave running vertically. Still usable but I'd like to know how to prevent this. TIA!
LL

8 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 2:23am
post #2 of 9

Most parchments have a silicone finish, so no, tape doesn't stick well.

Baking trays can have some give, too, if there are temp changes.

Better to use good quality wax paper, cellophane, or acetate taped onto a smooth cutting board or piece of plexiglass.

Also, it's necessary to work quickly on these, with the tip (very small tips burst any bubbles that are in the icing) buried in the icing so that you puff it up from the bottom. That way, you don't get dips where the icing has dried at different rates.

HTH
Rae

Montrealconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Montrealconfections Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 2:35am
post #3 of 9

I only use parchment paper, I never have any issue with it. I have never used the Wilton brand the one I purchase is not sold on a roll it is in sheets maybe that helps it lay flat.

nonilm Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 3:45pm
post #4 of 9

Thank you. I guess I'll have to try out some different papers.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 4:04pm
post #5 of 9

I do mine on plastic page protectors. icon_smile.gif

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 4:59pm
post #6 of 9

I do mine on Wax paper and have done almost the same elmo design actually (it broke a bit when placing on the cake, good thing I do cakes for free!) As Rae said (who would definately know better than me), keeping the tip buried gives a smoother finish.
LL

nonilm Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 5:03pm
post #7 of 9

I actually made 4 elmos just in case
icon_eek.gif

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 5:08pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonilm

I actually made 4 elmos just in case
icon_eek.gif

I learned the hard way to do that. It was the first one outside of a class and a definate DOH! moment.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 3:28pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Most parchments have a silicone finish, so no, tape doesn't stick well.

Baking trays can have some give, too, if there are temp changes.

Better to use good quality wax paper, cellophane, or acetate taped onto a smooth cutting board or piece of plexiglass.

Also, it's necessary to work quickly on these, with the tip (very small tips burst any bubbles that are in the icing) buried in the icing so that you puff it up from the bottom. That way, you don't get dips where the icing has dried at different rates.

HTH
Rae

Wow! Thank you for the tip. I have only made one RI so far, but was wondering why this happened. You. Are. Awesome!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%