How Do You Guys Create Your Own Recipes?

Decorating By jayshunnie22 Updated 15 Jun 2010 , 2:36am by bmoser24

jayshunnie22 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 12:59am
post #1 of 3

Hey ive been baking for awhile (not professionally..yet) but really i tweak recipes i found, i would love to know how you guys decide how much of what goes into it.is it just alot of practicing and experimenting? or is there a base recipe you go off of? Thanks so much.
P.s I was watching cupcake wars last night and they had to use surprise ingredients in the first round and i was dying to know how they knew that the ingredients wouldnt totally alter a exisiting recipe they were using, or if they just winged it from the jump.
Thanks again.

2 replies
Karen421 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 2:21am
post #2 of 3

A lot of practicing, trial and error and 40 pounds!!!

bmoser24 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 2:36am
post #3 of 3

Saw that show too. I think there is a base ratio.... not sure what it is though. I would also like to know. I remember my mom saying pound cake...pound of flour , pound of sugar, and a pound of butter. Gravy has a a ratio for flour to milk or liquids, BC has PS to fat ratio..and ect.
***The recipe I use for cakes right now is... 1 mix, 1 pudding, 1 c.sour cream, 4 eggs, 1 c.liquid, 1/3 c.oil. I use as a base....now i can alter by, pudding flavor can change, sour cr. or yogurt, water or juice, coffee...oil can change for butter. And so forth.
Now from scratch, i'm not sure...hope someone can explain. Thanks for asking, good topic.
Found something interesting.... www.finecooking.com/articles/ratios-for-great-cakes.aspx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%