Help They Won't Get Off My Cake!!! Lol....

Decorating By Joybeth Updated 16 Jun 2010 , 1:02pm by Joybeth

Joybeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joybeth Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 10:54pm
post #1 of 21

Just wanted to show you a funny cake! This was made for a monthly birthday party and it frieked out several older people...and kids...my dad came up with this idea...Only he didn't know I would actually do it! lol Hope you like it!
LL

20 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 10:57pm
post #2 of 21

ah palmetto bugs -- the denizens of the cockroach family that practically dare you to do anything about them

LOL!!! great idea very well done!

Joybeth Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 11:02pm
post #3 of 21

Aw thanks! You are the best! I love to read your posts...they are always the most informative...and funny...lol

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 11:05pm
post #4 of 21

LOL. I so see myself doing something like that. LOL Love it!

Joybeth Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 11:14pm
post #5 of 21

Thanks rosiecast!

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 11:25pm
post #6 of 21

Those are Awesome!!! so natural looking. Don't know that I would dare. But I live around lots of kids and I'm sure they would love it. How did you make them, do you mind sharing?

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 11:31pm
post #7 of 21

Too funny-and just plain gross! I love it!

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 11:34pm
post #8 of 21

lol, they look so real.

Joybeth Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 1:03am
post #9 of 21

I don't mind at all! I googled a full page pic of a roach. Got out some gumpaste, molded oval shapes, about the thickness of my finger, flattened slightly on the bottom. rolled 3 tiny log shapes for the 6 legs, placed the body on top of the legs and pressed down gently onto a soft foam surface. added 1 tiny log made into a v shape for the tail pieces. Added 1 more tiny log onto the front of mouth and bent into the shape that I wanted. Then I painted them different shades of brown with diluted coloring/water. It took all of 5 minutes. Really easy and super fun! This isn't a good pic but it at least shows what I'm talkin about. The "snake" didn't go on the cake and was made by one of the kids in my Sunday School class that I teach (she made the "flat" roach too..lol). Anyway hope this helps...
LL

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 1:14am
post #10 of 21

OMG that's awesome. You should submit it to CakeWrecks! DO NOT take that the wrong way, "wrecks" can also be well executed cakes that are just gross or weird in nature! icon_smile.gif

Joybeth Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 1:22am
post #11 of 21

Haha...thanks..

HobbyCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HobbyCaker Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 1:28am
post #12 of 21

Sick! But really funny! I grew up in Florida and remember those things crawling over everything. You did a great job replicating them. They made my skin crawl just like the real ones use to!

HobbyCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HobbyCaker Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 1:28am
post #13 of 21

Sick! But really funny! I grew up in Florida and remember those things crawling over everything. You did a great job replicating them. They made my skin crawl just like the real ones use to!

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 1:39am
post #14 of 21

That is to funny!! I would love to do that to my father's day cake!!!

au_decorator_76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
au_decorator_76 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 1:50am
post #15 of 21

LOL This is great!!! I have to admit though... I'm so skeeved out by bugs like that I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to eat the cake. haha.

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 2:01am
post #16 of 21

I think the cake is so funny, gross but funny. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I have lived an Florida since about 76, except for a few years in Atlanta and I remember the first time I saw a Palmetto. Holy cow, I thought you could rope and ride it. Then when I found out they could fly, I hated those bugs and thankfully our houses have not had any for years.
Like I said, cool cake icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif
evelyn

Joybeth Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 2:56am
post #17 of 21

I totally agree that the real ones are much worse! lol...Florida is known for it's bugs! At the party I had to take the bugs off to cut the cake because several people were very disgusted. However what was really funny was when one older gentleman came over and told me he was surprised how good the ummm..."roach tracks" were..lol. Thanks for all your comments everyone!

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 1:18am
post #18 of 21

That is flippin' funny! I live in SE Louisiana and we have some pretty impressive bugs too...might have to give this a try!

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 7:03am
post #19 of 21

I'm going to do this for my Girl Scouts at Halloween. You did a great job!! A grossly great job! icon_wink.gif

Sandy

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 7:09am
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakegrandma

I think the cake is so funny, gross but funny. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I have lived an Florida since about 76, except for a few years in Atlanta and I remember the first time I saw a Palmetto. Holy cow, I thought you could rope and ride it. Then when I found out they could fly, I hated those bugs and thankfully our houses have not had any for years.
Like I said, cool cake icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif
evelyn

Oh, I know what you mean. Shortly after I moved to South Miami frm Calif, in '84 I had the front door open as I was bringing in groceries. One huge roach flew in right past my face and landed on the counter. At first I thought it was a small bird... until I turned around to see where it landed.... OMG... tapedshut.gifthumbsdown.gif A neighboor refused to admit it was a roach and called it a Palmetto bug. "We don't have roaches, just large Palmetto bugs." dunce.gif I had to get out an encyclopedia to prove to her what it was.

Sandy

Joybeth Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 1:02pm
post #21 of 21

I'm sure your scouts will love it! We live in Florida and we have a special coffee cup for any non floridian visitors. On the very bottom of the cup is a glass palmetto bug, sooo as they finish their coffee they gradually see these little legs and then the whole body at the very bottom...It is very hilarious to watch. My dad even did it to my mom's mom. Let's just say my grandmother was horrified..lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%