Two Questions......

Decorating By LittleKaren Updated 15 Jun 2010 , 4:06pm by auntginn

LittleKaren Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 10:07pm
post #1 of 5

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for some help. I haven't been doing very many cakes in the past little while, but have a wedding cake coming up.

My first question is trying to figure out what size of cakes I need for about 75-80 guests. I am doing two square cakes covered in fondant.......

Also need some opinions on what icing people think is best for piping on fondant. I am doing some scroll work and little dots on it, but I am questioning whether buttercream or royal icing would be better. I have used buttercream to just do dots on fondant before, but I am wondering about the scrolls.....

Thanks in advance for the help!!!!!!!

4 replies
auntginn Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 10:20pm
post #2 of 5

A cake to feed 75 is equal to a full sheet cake. I would use the 14" and 10" square cake pans.

And on fondant for the scroll work I like to use royal icing.

HTH. Good luck

catlharper Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 11:03pm
post #3 of 5

Well a 10 inch square feeds 50 and an 8 inch square feeds 32 so together they'd feed 82...closest I think you are going to get. The slices should be 1x2x4 inches high. As for piping, yup, royal will give you the smoothest piping. Good luck! Cat

LittleKaren Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 1:13am
post #4 of 5

Thanks so much for your help....anyone have a great royal icing recipe?

auntginn Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 4:06pm
post #5 of 5

hahaha..... That's a good one... Since its just Powdered Sugar, water and egg whites (merinque Powder)

I beat the merinque powder and water until it resembles stiff beaten egg white merinque, then slowly add powdered sugar.

You could add clear vanilla if you wish

Quote by @%username% on %date%