Need Help On Sizes Please!!

Decorating By sarb21 Updated 17 Jun 2010 , 1:04am by sarb21

sarb21 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 8:37pm
post #1 of 22

I am doing my first round wedding cake for August and I need help determining the sizes of the cake just by a picture the client gave me. I am thinking it is a 10", 3 8" and the top is a 6". Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Here is the link: http://weddings.theknot.com/Real-Weddings/49258/detailview.aspx?id=49258&type=3&wedding+details=cake&colors=white&Sort=KnotPicks

21 replies
CWR41 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 11:26pm
post #2 of 22

I don't see any photo, but regardless what size it is, you'll probably need to alter the design to feed the number of servings that your client wants and/or is willing to pay for.

leily Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 1:27am
post #3 of 22

I don't get a photo either b/c i don't have an account.

But CWR is right, first you need to know how many servings they need/want. What you'll probably need to determine from the photo is the size difference between each tier (is it 2", 3", or 4" ) then you can pick the appropriate size cakes to match the design and the servings.

sarb21 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 1:47pm
post #4 of 22

Hope the attachment works.

Here is the photo.

I am also doing 2 12x18 sheet cakes. This cake is basically for people to see.
LL

CWR41 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 4:35pm
post #5 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarb21

I am thinking it is a 10", 3 8" and the top is a 6".




I think your guess is right... I'd say the same thing. If you're using the stand, it's just for show, and you're looking to duplicate the proportion, you might need to adjust the sizes to get the same look. ex. If the stand is 12", you'll need to start with a 12" cake or dummy on the bottom, then choose either 9" and 6" or 8" and 4" for the above tiers.

Auntie_RaRa Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 4:44pm
post #6 of 22

I'm curious with the middle tier...how would the tier get cut? Before I attempt to do a cake like this, I want to be sure I understand and be able to explain to a client. TIA

sarb21 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 4:21pm
post #7 of 22

I am using a cake board, not a cake stand so I just wanted to make sure I was seeing the size of the cakes.

The cake is basically for show, I am also making 2 12x18 sheet cakes. That is what will be served to the guests.

Thanks for the help!

leah_s Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 4:37pm
post #8 of 22

Since this is for a wedding, please, please do kitchen cakes instead of sheet cakes. At least consider it?

sarb21 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 4:40pm
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Since this is for a wedding, please, please do kitchen cakes instead of sheet cakes. At least consider it?




What is a kitchen cake?

The sheet cakes will not be seen. They will be in the kitchen and will be cut and plated as the couple cut there own cake and will be passed out to the guests.

Auntie_RaRa Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 5:08pm
post #10 of 22

I define kitchen cakes as basically double layer sheet with filling in the middle. It will resemble the cake structure of the wedding cake. I define sheet cakes as single layer cakes like you typically get a birthday party. True the kitchen cakes are back in the back and won't be seen. Once I explain to my brides the difference of two, they always go with the kitchen cakes especially if they select a cake with some type of filling other than buttercream. I do not provide fillings for single layer sheet caks.

sarb21 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 5:28pm
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie_RaRa

I define kitchen cakes as basically double layer sheet with filling in the middle. It will resemble the cake structure of the wedding cake. I define sheet cakes as single layer cakes like you typically get a birthday party. True the kitchen cakes are back in the back and won't be seen. Once I explain to my brides the difference of two, they always go with the kitchen cakes especially if they select a cake with some type of filling other than buttercream. I do not provide fillings for single layer sheet caks.




Thanks for the explanation.

This is a second marriage for both and they are trying to save money, that is why they are going with sheet cakes.

sarb21 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 5:28pm
post #12 of 22

double post

7yyrt Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 5:52pm
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie_RaRa

I'm curious with the middle tier...how would the tier get cut? Before I attempt to do a cake like this, I want to be sure I understand and be able to explain to a client. TIA



The middle tier is just a double height, with a cake board in the middle. Cut down to the cake board, remove, then cut the other half.

sarb21 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 5:56pm
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie_RaRa

I'm curious with the middle tier...how would the tier get cut? Before I attempt to do a cake like this, I want to be sure I understand and be able to explain to a client. TIA


The middle tier is just a double height, with a cake board in the middle. Cut down to the cake board, remove, then cut the other half.




So you think I only need 2 cakes in the middle tier, not 3?

dawncr Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 7:07pm
post #15 of 22

To me, it looks like you'll need four layers for the middle tier(s), not 3.

It's a 'double barrel,' and you stack those two tiers just like any other two tiers with dowels/boards or SPS or whatever between them. They just happen to be the same diameter.

Also, even though the B&G want to save money, have they thought about how guests will feel when some get the nice filled/torted piece of cake, and others get a slab with icing, and no filling?

Lcubed82 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 7:07pm
post #16 of 22

I think the middle is 2 cakes, 4" tall each, stacked. To me it looks like the top tier is 4"tall, the middle 8" tall, and the bottom 4" tall.

Auntie_RaRa Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 7:55pm
post #17 of 22

Thanks for the answer about cutting middle tier...you all make it sound so easy..lol I think this will be my project for my cake play date icon_biggrin.gif

CWR41 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 8:52pm
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarb21

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Since this is for a wedding, please, please do kitchen cakes instead of sheet cakes. At least consider it?



What is a kitchen cake?

The sheet cakes will not be seen. They will be in the kitchen and will be cut and plated as the couple cut there own cake and will be passed out to the guests.




What everyone is trying to say (about kitchen cakes), is STACK your two sheet cakes instead of having each on a separate board. I understand the couple is trying to keep costs down, but you don't need to charge extra for the same two cakes (you'll use one board, instead of two). When it's served, it will look the same as a two-layer tier cake (or wedding cake!), rather than a one-layer sheet cake.

sarb21 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 9:40pm
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawncr

To me, it looks like you'll need four layers for the middle tier(s), not 3.

It's a 'double barrel,' and you stack those two tiers just like any other two tiers with dowels/boards or SPS or whatever between them. They just happen to be the same diameter.

Also, even though the B&G want to save money, have they thought about how guests will feel when some get the nice filled/torted piece of cake, and others get a slab with icing, and no filling?




It is a small wedding so the sheet cakes will be plenty for the guests. They most likely won't need to serve the tierd cake.

So your saying I need to bake 4 cakes for the middle tier and double them up on a cake board??

dawncr Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 11:37pm
post #20 of 22

Nope, I'm saying to view the cake as having 4 tiers, and support it just as you would any other 4-tiered cake. The only difference is that the middle two tiers happen to be the same diameter.

You'll have boards/dowels or whatever support system for 3 of the tiers--all except the bottom one.

And, good to know about the tiered cake vs. sheet cakes. icon_smile.gif

You'll do great on this beautiful cake!

7yyrt Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 12:37am
post #21 of 22

sm.layer
sm.layer
sm.board
med-layer-
med-layer-
med-board-
med-layer-
med-layer-
med-board-
Lg--layer--
Lg--layer--
Lg--board--

sarb21 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 1:04am
post #22 of 22

Thanks for the help everyone!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%