Modeling Chocolate Tiiiiime!!!

Decorating By bmarlow001 Updated 29 Jun 2010 , 11:38am by Tiffany0481

bmarlow001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmarlow001 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 7:54pm
post #1 of 20

So I have been decorating for some time now but for some reason I have not ever even tried to use modeling chocolate... My sons 3rd birthday is coming up in July and he wants a dinasour cake so my husband and I are going to have a little cake off! I am in charge of the "scene" and my husband is in charge of the dinasours that are going on the scene so this is going to be a pretty big cake icon_smile.gif I have decided to use modeling chocolate for a lot of my little decorations as well as to cover the dinasours ... I am in desperate need of some tips, advice, examples or anything else you talented decorators have to offer!

I heard that the modeling chocolate would be good to cover my dinasours with because it is much better to smooth out on different shapes such as my little dinasour... is this true or is there soemthing else that I should use?

Here is the picture of the dinasours my husband is going to make.. well the shape of them at least, it will be a little different
LL

19 replies
bmarlow001 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 8:46pm
post #2 of 20

ANYONE????? icon_sad.gif

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 8:55pm
post #3 of 20

the only thing I have done with modeling chocolate is flowers, not tried to cover anything with it. The only thing I had trouble with was warm hands melting the chocolate too fast. So I kept the kitchen and my hands cold. sorry, wish I could have been more help. did you try a search on this site?

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 8:55pm
post #4 of 20

I just started playing with modeling chocolate and I LOVE IT! There is a recipe here for one that I use. It "rests" for 2 hours then ready to use...i think a bag of choco chips & some karo. You can make your seams seamless! It is very quick to make also. Now...I prefer the chocolate modeling chocolate. Have not made white chocolate modeling chocolate and colored it (yet).

Here's the recipe I use:
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/1608/chocolate-clay-modeling-chocolate

bmarlow001 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 9:14pm
post #5 of 20

Thank yoU! I did see that recipe and all the good reviews it had to I think I will go ahead and try that one out. I have about a month until I need to have this cake done so i'm going to start playing around with the stuff now so I dcan have it mastered by then!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 11:45pm
post #6 of 20

You have plenty of time. The cool thing about it is that you can run out the seams where pieces come together. Modelling chocolate lasts quite a while so play to your heart's content.

bmarlow001 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 1:04am
post #7 of 20

That's wonderful! that's exactly why I thought to use it because the little dinasours have so many grooves ... I can't wait to see the outcome! So basically the trick is to not handle it too much... does it roll out like fondant to where I could pick it up and lay it across my dinasours?

ddaigle Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 12:30pm
post #8 of 20

I rolled mine like fondant. Have seen them actually put it in a sheeter before! I made a gavel for my law books cake a month in advance. Have fun. Can't wait to see your cake!

bmarlow001 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 10:41pm
post #9 of 20

Okay, so I tried that recipe and it's been sitting out for 2 hours but I don't think it would hold a shape for the life of me... Is it supposed to be shiny still? I rolled it up and it won't stay in a ball when I put it down.. did I do something wrong? I used white baking chocolate... icon_sad.gif

abeane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abeane Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 10:57pm
post #10 of 20

I usually let my modelling chocolate rest overnight before trying to work with it. Just wrap it in plastic wrap and let it set. It should be hard by tomorrow, then you can break off small pieces and knead until pliable.

bmarlow001 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 11:03pm
post #11 of 20

Is it supposed to be so oily though? it's really really oily!

kitty122000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitty122000 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 2:00am
post #12 of 20

here's a tutorial I made for making candy clay out of candy melts:

If its really oily you can use a paper towel to soak up some of the oil, you definately want to let it rest at least overnight though!

ddaigle Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 12:38pm
post #13 of 20

bmarlow...are you sure you followed step 2 to a T? Mine is not shiny.

2. Add corn syrup to the chocolate and mix well (scrape all the corn syrup into the chocolate with a rubber spatula). Using a rubber spatula, stir and fold mixture, scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl well, until no shiny syrup is visible and the mixture forms a thick ball.

PJ37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PJ37 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 2:49pm
post #14 of 20

It is oily at first...I guess you are supposed to wait, but I never do. I just roll it around on a clean paper towel and the oil is then absorbed! I would think it would make very nice dino figures...

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 2:58pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarlow001

Is it supposed to be so oily though? it's really really oily!

What kind of white chocolate did you use? Did it have cocoa butter or did it have some other kind of fat in it? Depending on the fat, you might get different results.

You can also buy modeling chocolate too. If you can't get the recipe to work, this might be an option.

Cute cake you showed. And my boys are a little older, so I might be out of the loop. But aren't those dragons on the cake?

kitty122000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitty122000 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 5:00pm
post #16 of 20

I think dragons have wings icon_wink.gif

Are you planning on making them as big as those in the pic?

If so, I'd suggest making the core of them RKT, if not out of cake. You can actually mix the RKT with the candy clay to kee the dinos from being too heavy

bmarlow001 Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 5:35pm
post #17 of 20

I let it rest over night and it turned out perfect! I am getting ready to start making some trees and stuff for the cake so I can get some practice in icon_smile.gif

Tiffany0481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany0481 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 1:21am
post #18 of 20

I have a quick question about modeling chocolate .... I have played with it once and it was extremely hard to work with and I haven't tried again. I plan on trying it again this weekend for a cake I have to do in July. If I use the white chocolate and make white modeling chocolate, can it be painted like fondant or should I color it while I am making it?

PJ37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PJ37 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 3:39am
post #19 of 20

Tiffany0481...I would suggest coloring it while making it...better yet, buy the candy melts in the color you want the item to be...nice vivid colors...

Tiffany0481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany0481 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 11:38am
post #20 of 20

Thank you PJ! That is what I figured but wasn't sure what the best way to go was.

Thanks again!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%