We Shouldn't Be Too Hard On Ourselves!

Decorating By Rachel5370 Updated 15 Jun 2010 , 10:02pm by jayne1873

Rachel5370 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 7:36pm
post #1 of 9

I had cupcakes for two weddings. Fairly elaborate decorations and several flavors and styles for each bride. I felt everything took too long, wasn't quite right and just wasn't perfect. And then I got this on my Facebook page, it's a quote from a bride:

I didnt even have a chance to eat one of ur gorgeous cupcakes at my own wedding until it was almost all over....and then i ate 5 of them because they were SOOO GOOD! OMG- Definitely the best cupcakes ive ever had in my entire life!!! [dont tell my mom i said that] u rock honey and i am so happy how every thing turned o...ut...everyone kept asking who my baker was alll night!!! So thank u for making my wedding amazing with ur rockin cupcakes!!

That made my day!!! Her wedding was last night, so that made it even more amazing to get feedback today- I didn't expect that! Yay!!! Just wanted to share- in case there is someone else out there who is being too hard on themselves!

8 replies
catlharper Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 7:39pm
post #2 of 9

I think that's part of being a cake artist...we are ALL too hard on ourselves. Which is good and bad...hard on the ego but good because it pushes us to get better with each cake/cupcake order we get. The hardest part is not letting the "I'm not good enough" voice block out the urge to try something new and challenging. Wonderful to get praise like that...isn't it?!

Rachel5370 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 8:14pm
post #3 of 9

I am still smiling! I feel lucky to have gotten feedback so quick- the day after the wedding! Now I won't spend the next week or two wondering. I am now confident the other bride's cupcakes were good too. I have been a professional baker for awhile but this is my first time working for myself and it's scary!

rosiecast Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 8:15pm
post #4 of 9

Great job!! big pat in the back.

tweeter_bug98 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 8:28pm
post #5 of 9

We tend to be our own worst critics, that is for sure. Congrats on your kudos!

funcakes Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 9:57pm
post #6 of 9

I made a cake for a graduation of my friends' son. I so wanted to make something so special for him and I was totally disappointed with the way my cake turned out. I wasn't looking for praise, but I wanted to make them happy and show them how much I cared for him (them) I dropped it off wondering if maybe I should cut it in the kitchen instead of putting it out on display, but I was not in control of that.
At the dinner I heard people asking the mom where the cake came from, they never saw such a great cake, they were amazed. He and his family were thrilled with the cake. They even posted a pic on their facebook page and sent a pic through e mail to my daughter who was unable to go to the celebration.
Yes, we are too hard on ourselves.
Gotta love Cake Muggles!

sugarshack Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 10:39pm
post #7 of 9

I say that at the end of every DVD. We need to strive for excellence, not perfection. And love our art!

Rachel5370 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 12:50am
post #8 of 9

I knew you guys would understand! Of course, I never let on to the client if I feel anything negative about my work. If you don't point out the flaws, they don't notice!

jayne1873 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 10:02pm
post #9 of 9

Ah bless how lovely I bet you were over the moon

Quote by @%username% on %date%