What's The Best Way To Tackle This Cake?

Decorating By nicolecat Updated 18 Jun 2010 , 1:26pm by nicolecat

nicolecat Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 7:06pm
post #1 of 32

I want to make an iphone shaped cake for my husband, since the new iphone is coming out next week.

I've found a few images of iphone cakes that have been made before...but I can't firgure out what the best way to tackle it would be.
I am a complete noobie to the whole cake decoration, and have only ever tinkered with the squeeze tubes of colored icing.

I was thinking some pre-rolled fondant might be the way to go, and to paint the icons as needed...but the colors I want to achieve are bold, and I don't want it to look to watercolored.

Here's a link to google images that I've perused.
http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q=iphone%20cake&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

What are your opinions?...should I just go to the local publix and have them print an edible image to use? ...or maybe do this for the background to place the apps made in fondant onto...

(Note: I'm a graphic artist, and can draw and paint decently already...I've just never dabbled in the edible side of art)

31 replies
GL79 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 7:35pm
post #2 of 32

Why not try making a small cake first and see how it turns out. I would do the icons on edible image then cut them out and glue to fondant (the same shape as the icon) and then glue to cake. The only thing I would not do is buy ready to use fondant from Wilton. If you decide to paint, then make sure u use vodka with the food coloring. Hope someone else can give you better advice.

sweettreat101 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 7:38pm
post #3 of 32

There are several places on Ebay that will print any image for you on edible icing sheets. I would have an image of the face of the phone printed and make the rest in cake and fondant.

catlharper Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 7:40pm
post #4 of 32

Well, I'm not a painter (can barely sketch out the cakes I make for the clients<G>icon_wink.gif so I'd go edible image all the way. But if you feel confident that you could paint it then I'd say go for it!

leah_s Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 8:38pm
post #5 of 32

I vote for the edible image. You'll get exactly the image you need in the colors youo need and it's incredibly easy.

nicolecat Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 4:24am
post #6 of 32

I started on it tonight...making the icons out of fondant.
(I'll post pictures of my progress tomorrow)

For the most part it's just like playing with playdoh.
Mixing the colored gel into it is soooo much fun.

I'm actually going to try to paint the background with the gel colors...but I'm nervous about covering the cake with fondant...I just know I'll mess it up.
(Is it a good idea to bake a back up or two just incase? icon_smile.gif

nicolecat Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 4:26am
post #7 of 32

What's the best way to store the fondant as I am working on the cake?...Is there a timeline I need to stick to that is best to work with it?

I'm going to try to finish it by Thursday night, because there's a party I want to take it to on friday...

tastyart Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 4:50am
post #8 of 32

Make sure you keep the fondant wrapped up air tight when you are not working with it. I can't wait to see your results. Kuddos to you taking on this challenge as a newbie. You're going to do great!

Marianna46 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 4:53am
post #9 of 32

I'd suggest you look at a couple of video tutorials on YouTube, or wherever you can find them, about covering a cake with fondant. Then I'd have a go at a small practice cake. If that comes out okay, go for it, girl (BTW, I was one of the ones who said "yes, you'll be fine" in the poll). If you can get your hands on some ready-made black fondant, I'd do that, too. It can be hard to achieve that color with gel and paste colors. Best of luck! Send us some pictures of the results, okay?

nicolecat Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 1:29pm
post #10 of 32

Oh thanks everyone...I've definitely been checking out youtube for everything fondant related I can think of.

Petit fours look REALLY hard!

Here's a picture of a few of the icons...
I traced the cake pan and plotted out the size they needed to be.
(It's a small cake, so they're about 1"x1")

[/img]
LL

Marianna46 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 1:36pm
post #11 of 32

I LOVE your icons!!! And, seriously, if you can do those, I know you can cover a cake with fondant. Okay, it's a different skill set, but you're obviously talented. And BTW, I wouldn't tackle petit fours, either!

Marianna46 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 1:39pm
post #12 of 32

Oh, yes, and the fondant you use for petit fours is a different kind made with a whole different recipe: it's pourable and, as far as I'm concerned, the devil to work with unless you have lots of practice and patience.

noahsmummy Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 1:49pm
post #13 of 32

fondant is definantley one of the hardest things t master (well for me anyway) so i would definantley recommend to practice covering a similar shaped cake in fondant. but then everyone is different in whats hard and easy so you maybe lucky and just pick it up. =) if it totally fails on your real deal, you can always pull the fondant off and the viva method b/c. it gives a finish close to fondant. =)

mmdiez10 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 1:52pm
post #14 of 32

Try making MMF. It is so delicious and easy to make. Tastes much better than the premade Wilton kind. Definitely go with an edible image. You can probably scan a pic of the phone's face and take it to your local bakery and they can print out a sheet for you for around $8. Once you have more experience with fondant, you can venture into trying to mold and color individual pieces on your projects. Good luck and be sure to post pics.

-K8memphis Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 2:04pm
post #15 of 32

Oh you're good--you're doing very well.

Here's an idea for you just to throw a small challenge at you since you're a graphic artist already--and your icons rock--in your link see the guy holding up his cake for the camera? Consider making your cake at an angle already. Then use the paint to create the illusion that the iphone is sitting on top.

All you have to do is get the cake nice & cold. It needs to be all level and squared up (the fondant will round out the edges). Then just slice off the top at an angle--slice off a wedge--doesn't even have to be real deep--put some icing on the cake--*flip the wedge over and line it up at the edges viola there's an angled surface for you to finish icing and cover with fondant. Then just paint the sides as expertly as you've created the awesome icons and you've got a stellar creation!

*For flipping--use a cardboard cake board and slide it under the cake wedge. Or use a cookie sheet that has a flat edge.

But whatever you do know that your icons rock and you're doing a great job!!!

And I'm sure you've noticed how you can imprint the fondant so you have about five minutes to make some good imprints to make the case look like a case and shape it after you apply the fondant.

Yes! Yes! Yes! Making back ups is the only way to go! You'll be golden.

PJ37 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 2:43pm
post #16 of 32

Your icons are very well done! Good luck on the rest of the cake and be sure to show us the final product!

nicolecat Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 2:58pm
post #17 of 32

What if I made a foam core board like this one instead...
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.cherryblossomwe.com/cb/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/iphonecake2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.cherryblossomwe.com/cakes/iphone-love&usg=__jjj59zMQ6kN2M_q9t_EO4FHraPE=&h=388&w=349&sz=18&hl=en&start=205&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=frUWTBa5DNlzmM:&tbnh=123&tbnw=111&prev=/images%3Fq%3Diphone%2Bcake%26start%3D198%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26ndsp%3D18%26tbs%3Disch:1
I definitely do not feel comfortable in my skill level to cut a wedge out of a cake and have it sit straight. lol.

I got a silicon cake pan last year with our favorite college team football letters...and had a complete fail as pieces chunked off of it when I tried to release it...I had icing as my mortar to put it back together...but that was just an awful experience...

tastyart Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 3:01pm
post #18 of 32

I love that cake board! It would look awesome!

-K8memphis Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 3:30pm
post #19 of 32

Great idea! I recommend that you fondant cover your cake flat, decorate it, then place it on your angled cake stand. You can use the nubbly cupboard shelf liner to keep it from sliding off.

And --just like you realized making several is a good idea--this is also a great idea for two reasons--one) is you can make the stand way in advance and have it sitting there ready for you--and two) if you leave it till the last minute and inadvertently run out of time it is a detail that is not essential so you could forego it and still have a big hit!!

Time can really be a cruel task master doing stuff like this--so some built in wiggle room is brilliant.

Can't wait to see it--no pressure though.

nicolecat Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 3:40pm
post #20 of 32

Is there a certain cake mix that is better to use for others?
...I realize there could be some brand favoritism here...but it's been a minute since I've cooked a box mix.
(and the glass pan that I'm using is ALOT smaller than what the box will call for)

-K8memphis Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 3:45pm
post #21 of 32

I use Duncan Hines--

tonedna Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 3:50pm
post #22 of 32

To me it depends on time. If you have the time to make the icond one by one go for it. I am with leah, I dont have the time to do them..lol
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

tastyart Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 3:54pm
post #23 of 32

I like to use pillsbery mix in the wasc recipe. Here is the link to my post. http://www.thatreallyfrostsme.com/2010/04/my-favorite-vanilla-cake.html

What size are you making?

nicolecat Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 4:01pm
post #24 of 32

The pan is close to the size of an 8.5"x11" piece of paper...

I may make one the next size up and just put an apple logo on it...so there's enough to eat. icon_smile.gif

nicolecat Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 5:28pm
post #25 of 32

I went and bought some over lunch...
got duncan hines classic white and spice...they're buy one get one free at publix right now. icon_smile.gif

nicolecat Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 9:06pm
post #26 of 32

Okay...so my first try the cake broke into two pieces as I was trying to release it from the pan...so disheartening.
I ran out and got some parchment paper...and that little tweak is the most amazing thing EVER!
I'm going to lay the fondant over the main piece tonight...I'll post pictures later.

Wish me luck!...I'm nervous. icon_smile.gif

nicolecat Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 11:50pm
post #27 of 32

Ok, so....I'm not 100% done, but here's a few pictures of my progress.

I wanted to do the new white iphone, since apple is being so ellusive as to when they'll be selling it.

The background on the new iphones have water droplets...but, I just opted to paint a gradient instead. It's not 'perfect', but I think it'll serve well for a backdrop for the apps.
LL
LL
LL

abeane Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 12:12am
post #28 of 32

That looks great, I love the gradient backdrop. Can't wait to see it with the apps on it!

-K8memphis Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 12:32am
post #29 of 32

I think you are totally rocking it!

Great work!!!

nicolecat Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 1:04am
post #30 of 32

All but 2 apps, and I just painted those...
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%