What Would You Charge For This Cake?

Business By madras650 Updated 17 Jun 2010 , 12:41am by JeannieLudwig

madras650 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madras650 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 6:50pm
post #1 of 14

NEVER MIND! I deleted the pic, It is a copyrighted image.

13 replies
QueenOfSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenOfSweets Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 6:58pm
post #2 of 14

I would charge nothing for this cake, because I would not make it for a client. Spongebob is a licensed character, and recreating him on a cake for sale is copyright infringement, which is illegal. I've done a Spongebob cake once but it was for my niece and it was free.

Great job on him though!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 7:05pm
post #3 of 14

If I were allowed to legally charge for Spongebob, I would consider this a 2D/carved cake (basically a flat carved sheet cake) and I charge $2.50/serv. covered in fondant

a double layer 11x15 gives 77 servings so this cake would be $192.50 in my neck of the woods!

JeannieLudwig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JeannieLudwig Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 3:56am
post #4 of 14

I'm just starting my home business. What do you do for pans that Wilton makes?

Creativebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creativebakes Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 4:04am
post #5 of 14

So you cant charge for cakes that look like real characters? icon_confused.gif

lainvest64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainvest64 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 4:13am
post #6 of 14

You can not sale anything deplicting a copyrighted item. So, Disney Characters, Sponge Bob, Thomas the Tank, things of that nature can not be sold. The pans probably come with a notice that they are for home baking only and can not be used to make cakes for sale. I don't know about cakes, but the "Disney police" will hunt you down and confinscate your products if you monogram/embroidery their characters on items for sale! The Wilton pans of characters are for home cakes. They ones that are square, oval, etc can be used for cakes being sold to the public.

Creativebakes Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 4:40am
post #7 of 14

how come stores can sell cakes that have the disney characters on top?

Creativebakes Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 4:42am
post #8 of 14

what I meant to say was: Can you sell cakes with disney toppers and figurines as long as the cake itself is not in the shape or design of the copy righted character?

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 4:49am
post #9 of 14

Bigger stores sell those cakes, because they have bought the copyright from Disney to do so.

You can decorate your cake by color, etc. then let the client buy the plastic toy and put it on themselves.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 4:50am
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativebakes

what I meant to say was: Can you sell cakes with disney toppers and figurines as long as the cake itself is not in the shape or design of the copy righted character?

yes because Disney got their "cut" in the amount you paid for the disney topper/figures on the cake. that is my understanding anyway.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 12:14pm
post #11 of 14

You can make a *background* and the customer can place (or bring to you to place) characters on the cake. You can also buy licensed kits from several suppliers, but you have to make the cake exactly as shown in their book.

You could create a seascape on a cake and put a Little Mermaid figurine on top, but you can't make the Mermaid herself out of cake. Well, unless you pay Disney for the privilege.

Creativebakes Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 4:21pm
post #12 of 14

Good to know thanks

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 8:12pm
post #13 of 14

Or you can order kits or edible images from Decopac or Bakery Crafts and decorate them exactly as they are shown on the cards. That is the only way to do licensed characters. You cannot do 3d or 2d carved cakes or even hand draw images or airbrush images of copyrighted characters.

JeannieLudwig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JeannieLudwig Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 12:41am
post #14 of 14

Thanks for all the information : )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%