Do I Leave The Ridge From The Celboard Or Flatten It Out?

Decorating By drakegore Updated 15 Jun 2010 , 12:42am by BlakesCakes

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 5:45pm
post #1 of 6

i am so frustrated by wires poking out of my leaves and petals that i am thinking about buying a cel board to that i can get that raised up ridge of paste/tunnel to put my wire in.

after you roll, cut and insert wire, you still have that ridge of gumpaste right? so do you leave it or do you flatten it out when you vein the leaf or petal?

i am so aggravated my wires i could scream . i think the celboard is cheaper than therapy, lol

diane

5 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 8:02pm
post #2 of 6

After inserting the wire, you leave the ridge. If you attempt to flatten it out, you can make the paste so thin that the wire will show.

HTH
Rae

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 12:17am
post #3 of 6

how does one go about veining (in the center) without smashing down the ridge?

thank you for your help, i really stink at wired flowers icon_smile.gif

diane

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 12:20am
post #4 of 6

I cut the leaf then insert the wire, then vein (flattening out the ridge as i do) I don't have a problem with my wires poking through like this. I do use paper covered wire, it is expensive but well worth the extra $$

Yorkiemum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yorkiemum Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 12:30am
post #5 of 6

Where do you get the paper covered wire? I would love to try it. Thank you for sharing!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 12:42am
post #6 of 6

You can get various gauges of paper covered wire at globalsugarart.com

I should have been more clear--veining using a silicone veiner or even a hard resin veiner is fine. Yes, it does flatten out the ridge somewhat, but you're veining on the front of the leaf, or--with a double sided veiner, the ridge fits into the "v" in the bottom of the veiner, so there isn't a lot of pressure.

I was imagining you attempting to ball tool or roll over the ridge, and that is what can push the paste to either side of the wire and leave the wire exposed.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%