How Do You Sculpt A Filled Layer Cake?

Decorating By CupcakingChristine Updated 15 Jun 2010 , 7:03am by catlharper

CupcakingChristine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakingChristine Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 5:40pm
post #1 of 9

Hello,

How do I sculpt a filled layer cake? I made my 1st purse cake this weekend and the layers were filled with chocolate mousse, strawberries and bananas. Is there an easy way to sculpt a cake filled like this? Please let me know and THANK you so much in advance!

~Cupcaking Christine

8 replies
cakeville82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeville82 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 5:56pm
post #2 of 9

Sculpt and then fill.

tvtorp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tvtorp Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 6:33pm
post #3 of 9

I find it easier to sculpt cakes that have been filled and refrigerated as much as overnight. A dense cake is easier to sculpt than a devils food type cake. I have used Colette Peters Coco-Loco recipe with chocolate ganache filling and it works beautifully for carving after refrigeration. I used this recipe to carve a mountain made from nine layers of cake. Best of luck!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 1:49am
post #4 of 9

i always sculpt and then fill also. I don't want to worry about taking off my dam that holds in the filling.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 2:18am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

i always sculpt and then fill also. I don't want to worry about taking off my dam that holds in the filling.

I think that is smart! I sculpt when it is filled, but now (notice I said now) I only use bc or ganache to fill with, and carving is always easier when using a denser cake and chilled.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 2:34am
post #6 of 9

I'm no fun. I don't allow fancy fillings in sculpted cakes! Just buttercream (assorted flavors) or ganaches. No whipped fluffy stuff or fruit!

katerpillrgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katerpillrgrl Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 2:44am
post #7 of 9

i had pretty good luck sculpting my ode to joy cake with strawberry mousse filling after i froze it. i filled, froze then sculpted....

CupcakingChristine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakingChristine Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 3:11am
post #8 of 9

Thanks guys...that WAS my original thought but the cake was so moist I was afraid it would crumble when I pulled apart the layers. I will def give it a try. I apprecaite all of your comments THANK YOU!!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 7:03am
post #9 of 9

I always start out with frozen cakes...torte, fill then sculpt. Much easier to do with the filling already inside than to try to do it after..especially if there are some narrow edges after sculpting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%