How To Apply Edible Glitter To Sides Of Cake?

Decorating By Shermie1 Updated 16 Jun 2010 , 2:46pm by Shermie1

Shermie1 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 4:49pm
post #1 of 5

I have to apply edible glitter to a 12" and a 10" rounds iced in buttercream. What is the best technique to apply this to the sides of the cake? Should I apply before it crusts or wait and what is the best technique to use to make it evenly distributed? All help would be so much appreciated. Thanks in advance

4 replies
sweettooth622 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 1:30am
post #2 of 5

Oooh, this is something that I'd really like to know too icon_biggrin.gif Anyone?

mbark Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 2:14am
post #3 of 5

I'm also curious about that...

DianeLM Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 3:07am
post #4 of 5

Ideally you should apply the glitter before your icing crusts, but I know that my icing starts to crust almost immediately, so glitter wouldn't stick to it once I finished icing the cake.

If your icing loses it's stickiness, you can dilute some piping gel with water and lightly brush it over the icing. Not too much, because the glitter dissolves in water. Or, wait for your icing to completely crust, then apply straight piping gel.

Onto the glitter application --- Put the cake on a turntable that is on a large board or inside a large pan.

Pour some glitter onto a flat, sturdy surface, such as a cakeboard.

Hold the board up to the side of your cake.

With your other hand, squeeze an empty squeeze bottle toward the glitter. This will "blow" the glitter onto your cake. Gather the excess from the board/pan and continue until the cake is covered.

The cake below is fondant, but I used the same technique.

Shermie1 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 2:46pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you so much DianeLM. I will try this technique. I am planning a small practice cake to try this with. Loved your cake by the way. I hope one day I can do something as awesome. Thanks for your help

Quote by @%username% on %date%