Sculpt Fondant

Decorating By Dommers Updated 14 Jun 2010 , 5:22pm by Kitagrl

Dommers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dommers Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 4:37pm
post #1 of 4

I have a request for a cake that has various science tools. Are there any suggestions for how to sculpt fondant into a beaker and bunsen burner etc.?

3 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 4:55pm
post #2 of 4

the only tips I can give is to mix the fondant with tylose so it will dry harder quickly. Other than that it's like playing with clay...just keep working with it with your fingers till it looks the way the real thing looks...or as close as you can get.

honuwebd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honuwebd Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 5:02pm
post #3 of 4

Okay, so science tools eh? You can cover plastic dowels for the bunsen burner but I'm not sure about the base, maybe a small cake board covered in fondant?
As for the beaker, you can try and shape the beaker and use plastic /seran wrap to keep the shape.

I'm currently looking around my lab right now trying to figure out what else you can make haha. Maybe a pair of goggles, some test tubes, (pvc / plastic dowels again). Same idea with the graduateed cylinders.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 5:22pm
post #4 of 4

Seems like a job for sugar work! Yikes...

I had to make a science cake just one time, and I just used real test tubes (new of course) and a new beaker, and then just put colored piping gel oozing out of them and stuff.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%