Cake Donation

Business By ladycakes85 Updated 14 Jun 2010 , 8:31pm by FullHouse

ladycakes85 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 4:01pm
post #1 of 6

If there is a thread that has already discussed this, please send me a link. My search results didn't return any.

I have aquaintances who have opened a little art studio/gallery in town. They are having a grand opening in a few weeks and asked if I would be willing to donate a cake. However, I am not a licensed baker. I have been doing cakes for friends and family for the fun of it and to gain experience for the day when I can start a business.

If i'm not receiving compensation, am I allowed to do this? The organization told me that since they aren't a restaurant establishment and won't be selling the cake, but instead serving it as refreshments, it shouldn't matter. I just wanted to know if any of you have done something similar or researched this topic.

Thanks for any advice.

5 replies
pattigunter Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 4:19pm
post #2 of 6

I think thats very generous of you --- and what is this world coming to if you cant donate a cake without checking with a government agency first????

ladycakes85 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 4:38pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you icon_smile.gif
I have a degree in graphic design, and a passion for photography as well, so anything that promotes any form of artistic expression appeals to me. I definitely want to offer my support and appreciate them thinking of cake decorating as a legit art form too icon_wink.gif

jillmakescakes Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 4:38pm
post #4 of 6

Just something to think about:

What would happen if someone got sick? If you have liability insurance, then you should be OK, but I'd caution you about serving many strangers without insurance.

Think about this from a customer's point of view. If they were to get sick, wouldn't it be reaonable for them to say that they should have only served food from licensed and inspected sources?

The only way I can see this not being a problem, is if the food is all "potluck" and it is very obvious that the intention was to serve "homemade" food as opposed to catered food.

ladycakes85 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 4:55pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you Jill.
That is a great point.

They are a very small organization right now so they have been providing homemade cookies, desserts, etc. at each of the gallery openings, so I guess that's where I was thinking a homemade cake would fit in.

FullHouse Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 8:31pm
post #6 of 6

What if you put a sign near the cake: Chocolate cake with ganache filling, homemade. Though, I'm not at all familiar with Indiana laws. You could donate your cake to your friend, the gallery owner. If they choose to eat it at home or serve it at their party, that's their responsibility????

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%