Co-Workers Birthday Cake Vent

Lounge By Kayakado Updated 18 Jun 2010 , 6:38pm by Tinabarena

Kayakado Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 3:20pm
post #1 of 8

A co-worker received a beautiful birthday cake from her sister. It was delivered to our offices. It was a beautiful pink gift box cake. It had impeccably iced buttercream on a square cake, luster dusted ribbons and bows. The crispness of the edges and corners of the buttercream icing brought tears of joy to my eyes. Unfortunately at the other end of the spectrum, the dry tasteless cake and sickeningly sweet greasy mouth buttercream that decorated it made us gag. The lady who delivered it seemed to be a professional, all dressed in her monogramed chef's jacket. I am sure the sister paid an exorbitant amount for this cake, but she didn't get her money's worth. We all lied through our teeth and told the birthday girl that her cake was delicious. It was worse than the worst cake I've ever eaten. I just can't believe that someone with any self esteem and seemingly professional presentation would make and sell such a horrible cake. We kept her card so we can warn our friends about how bad her cake and its icing were.

I am not venting out of jealousy. I don't even know this woman's sister who ordered the cake. I love to taste cakes and dishes prepared by others, but I hate to see people cheated in such a blatant way. I guess it happens with florists too where the person who orders the flowers never sees what's delivered.

We thought about giving this baker feedback but we weren't the purchasers nor the recipient.

7 replies
mamawrobin Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 4:06pm
post #2 of 8

I've had wedding cake that looked beautiful and tasted like crap. Makes me wonder if these people have ever actually tasted their product. icon_confused.gif I do think that the appearance of the cake is important but it should taste as good if not better than it looks.

costumeczar Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 1:56pm
post #3 of 8

I just wrote a blog entry about this kind of thing! Cardbaord cakes with beautiful exteriors, or monkey-iced cakes with deliciousness inside? I'll take the good-to-eat one. bit.ly/dxUYO6

Shelle_75 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 3:34am
post #4 of 8

"Monkey-Iced"

ROFLMAO!!!!!

tesso Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 3:37am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelle_75

"Monkey-Iced"

ROFLMAO!!!!!

scoot over an make some room on the floor !! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

costumeczar Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 10:43am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelle_75

"Monkey-Iced"

ROFLMAO!!!!!

I saw a cake that someone had delivered that looked like a monkey had iced it, so ever since then I'm trying to get "monkey-iced" into the generally accepted vocabulary of cake terms. Glad you liked it! It's very descriptive, isn't it? I bet you know exactly what the cake looked like.

Shelle_75 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 4:37pm
post #7 of 8

Not only do I know what it looked like, I can picture the monkeys icing it.

icon_lol.gif

Tinabarena Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 6:38pm
post #8 of 8

First, I am new to this site (and a complete addict now!). I've only been making cakes for just over a year, and this site has provided such great tips/advice! So...I love reading all these threads but I'm still too nervous/unsure to post any of my pictures because they can't even compare to some of the cakes on here...I'm amazed at the talent!

Anyway...onto Kayakado's postI think it's sad that the cake was so beautiful and yet tasted so horrible...I would be devastated. Maybe this wasn't the case in her situation - but ironically - I dont like cake/frosting, or anything sweet for that matter. So, for me, it is very hard when I make cakes because I genuinely depend on what people say about the taste of the cake. Suremy feelings may be hurt if a cake tasted bad, but I would really want to know. I cant change it if no one tells me. I assume my cakes taste good because most of my orders are by referral now, so I must be doing something right . icon_smile.gif

Againmost people like baked goods so they probably do taste their stuff and either like it or not. I have to depend on my husband and kids...and they'll eat anything! Im just thinking from the opposite end of the spectrum.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%