Sheet Cake Help

Decorating By QueenJessica Updated 14 Jun 2010 , 4:33pm by QueenJessica

QueenJessica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenJessica Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 3:19pm
post #1 of 7

I need some advice. I am going to be making a sheet cake for someone that needs about 30 servings. I was thinking maybe an 11x15? My biggest concern is that they would like chocolate in the middle, and I'm a little afraid that cutting it in half to fill it would cause it to break. My other idea is that maybe it would be easier to do a one layer 10inch square beside a 5 inch (10 inch cut in half), its just that i've never done that and don't know how easy it would to be to "seam" together. Thank You!

6 replies
misabel99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misabel99 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 3:33pm
post #2 of 7

9x13 is the perfect size for 30 and if you don't want to cut it in half divide the batter in 2 pans.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 3:40pm
post #3 of 7

A single layer 9x13 only serves 15-20. A single layer 12x18 will serve 30-50. If you want them filled, work with them cold from the frig, or slighly frozen. After splitting, place a cake board, or cookie sheet to remove the top layer, fill, then slide the top layer on. If if splits a little...that's ok...after you ice it, no one will know the difference. It will all seam back together.

BARBARAJEAN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BARBARAJEAN Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 3:41pm
post #4 of 7

I split them in half all the time and fill. I just split and use a cakeboard to slip between the layers. Lift the top off and set aside. Fill. Then gently replace the top. Dont panic if it cracks a little. It can be patched. I do it so often, they rarely crack for me.

cakegroove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegroove Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 3:46pm
post #5 of 7

I have piped filling into a sheet cake where the individual pieces would be cut, like filling a cupcake and it worked out fine. Maybe that would be an easier alternative.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 4:01pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenJessica

I am going to be making a sheet cake for someone that needs about 30 servings. I was thinking maybe an 11x15?

Yes, your pan will serve 30-35 people.

QueenJessica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenJessica Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 4:33pm
post #7 of 7

In case I wasn't clear I was planning on a single layer (2inch) cut in half.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%