Sugarshacks Buttercream! How Many Cups Does The Recipe Make

Decorating By crazyladybaker Updated 14 Jun 2010 , 6:48pm by aprilblack

crazyladybaker Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 3:00pm
post #1 of 6

Hi. I am about reading to start making my buttercream for wedding this weekend.
I need about 32 Cups of frosting but am wondering how many batches of SugarShacks recipe I need to make?
I can't seem to find anywhere that states how much this recipe will yield.

any help out there?
Thanks thumbs_up.gif

5 replies
PiccoloChellie Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 3:18pm
post #2 of 6

Right about 5 quarts in a 5qt Kitchenaid, which comes out to about 20 cups, maybe just a little shy of that. This is assuming you make a full batch in the 5qt mixer with the icing coming pretty much all the way to the top of the bowl. I'd do 2 batches if you need 32 cups.

If your mixer size is different, there are 4 cups in a quart. icon_smile.gif

CNCS Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 3:19pm
post #3 of 6

I made it this weekend and used my 4.5 kitchen aid. 4.5 cups of hi ratio shortening and the powder sugar filled up my mixer bowl.

Ive never measured how much that is but now that I think about it it would be good to know. Im making it again Thursday and I'll have to make a note how many cups are in there.

Can you do the water volume test by filling up the mixer bowl and pouring that into a measuring cup. It would be fluid measure wonder how to convert that......

aprilblack Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 4:31pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiccoloChellie

Right about 5 quarts in a 5qt Kitchenaid, which comes out to about 20 cups, maybe just a little shy of that. This is assuming you make a full batch in the 5qt mixer with the icing coming pretty much all the way to the top of the bowl. I'd do 2 batches if you need 32 cups.

If your mixer size is different, there are 4 cups in a quart. icon_smile.gif

I have the five Qt and I think Sharon states it makes 18 cups... If you need 32, you might want a little extra though if youre gonna crumb coat or fill with it.

crazyladybaker Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 6:19pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks so much everyone for the input! I think I am going to do 3 batches in my 6qt mixer just to be on the safe side.
That way I will have enough to make filling with that as well and have some left over for piping.

This is going to be an outside wedding at 6pm and it's supposed to be 95 degrees.
man oh man....I am not looking forward to the heat. I have been asked to stay and cut cake so I wonder how they feel about me in a bathing suit?
icon_lol.gif

aprilblack Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 6:48pm
post #6 of 6

Yeah, bathing suit is right.. Almost need a birthday suit in that kind of heat!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%