Pastry Pride For Ganache?

Baking By ylescu Updated 15 Jun 2010 , 12:23pm by minicuppie

ylescu Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 10:39am
post #1 of 7

Has anyone tried or have a recipe for this? I was wondering if you could substitute pastry pride for cream in a ganache that you could use to frost a cake then cover with fondant.

How do you go about making it? Can you heat it up (I'm thinking you can't because that might muck up its whipping ability, since its a frozen product? I don't know...) then add it to the chocolate (like the usual way of preparing ganache)? Or do it in a different way entirely?

Hope someone can helpicon_smile.gif

6 replies
minicuppie Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 11:23am
post #2 of 7

Ganache is melted chocolate stirred into very warm cream. If the cream is too cool the chocolate will seize. Can PP be brought up to that temp without breaking? If so, give it a whirl and report back.

CakesByLJ Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 12:02pm
post #3 of 7

Sure... my pastry professor taught us how to make it with Pastry Pride. Use it exactly as you would heavy whipping cream... icon_biggrin.gif

Bunsen Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 12:26pm
post #4 of 7

Not sure why you would want to? The ganache used under fondant isn't whipped and has a long shelf life out of the fridge. Sorry if I'm missing something but just not seeing the benefit of using this rather than cream.

ylescu Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 2:15pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesByLJ

Sure... my pastry professor taught us how to make it with Pastry Pride. Use it exactly as you would heavy whipping cream... icon_biggrin.gif

How did your professor go about it? Did they heat the pastry pride and then added it to the chopped chocolate?

CakesByLJ Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 2:56pm
post #6 of 7

That's exactly it... heat the cream to just boil, and pour it over the chopped chocolate.
The only reasons I remember (it's been a while) that we used it instead of real cream is cost.. it's half the price, and the fact that it can be stored in the freezer, so it's always on hand. In fact, he used Pastry Pride instead of real cream for everything.. There was also another product, Manufacturing Cream, that we used a lot also.. hth

minicuppie Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 12:23pm
post #7 of 7

That is good to know. I am tired of pouring out cream that has gone off. Tried to freeze leftovers but it just breaks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%