Anyone Made A Food Safe Stamp?

Decorating By LeckieAnne Updated 15 Jun 2010 , 12:19pm by minicuppie

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 5:37am
post #1 of 12

Like a rubber stamp kind of thing? I'd like to make a teir of a cake be black with small white stamped on skull shapes. Like a goth kind of t-shirt. I can't image trying to cut them out. I thought about painting them on - but that would take forever.

11 replies
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 12:01pm
post #2 of 12

Have you tried to find a mold?

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 12:34pm
post #3 of 12

There is sweetstampen.com. She has a line of food safe stamps that you could use. I believe that she is a member of cc.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 12:50pm
post #4 of 12

I have used gumpaste and rolled it out to about an 1/8" thick and cut out a particular shape and let it harden, then put a fresh chunk of gumpaste on the back of it and let it harden, and then used that as a stamp........it works, but depending on how many times you use it, it starts to dissolve...since it's made of SUGAR!!! lol But it does work.

I saw on tv where a girl used those clear stamps at the craft store for her cakes....wonder if they're really food safe though?

LeckieAnne Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 7:06pm
post #5 of 12

Thanks guys.

Nothing on sweetstampen -bummer. I've seen discussions on here that regular stamps are not food safe - so I don't want to do that.

Nope - haven't searched for a mold - I'll try that.

I might have to try the gumpaste thing - that might work. But I'd like to stamp quite a few times around an 8" tier. Probably would have to make more than one.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 7:15pm
post #6 of 12

Remember being a kids and painting with potatoes - cut out the shape in a potato and dip it then stamp with it?

wonder if that would work...

LeckieAnne Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 7:18pm
post #7 of 12

Oh yeah. That would definitely be food safe - lol. Just might work! I'm searching for molds - but am only finding really thick ones. I'd really like it to look like stamped fabric.

flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 7:33pm
post #8 of 12

Why aren't regular stamps food safe?
I mean if you only use them for that purpose?

LeckieAnne Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 7:35pm
post #9 of 12

I don't remember exactly - something about the foam material the stamp is made from.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 7:37pm
post #10 of 12

I just saw a Martha Stewart cupcake episode a few days ago where she was using a wooden backed rubber stamp from the craft store to stamp initials on fondant for cupcake toppers and she didn't mention one thing about using food safe stamps! icon_surprised.gif

I had read somewhere that the wooden backed stamps could have formaldehyde in the wood due to how the wood is processed and therefore are not food safe. I guess the acrylic or plastic backed ones are safe, tho???

LeckieAnne Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 7:39pm
post #11 of 12

Hmmm - I don't know! How are you really supposed to know?!

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 12:19pm
post #12 of 12

I didn't finish my thought. Find a mold, them make your image and pop out. Let dry and then use as a stamp. Will also eventually break apart, so make more than you think you'll need.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%