Caramel Cupcake Filling And Topping!

Baking By madge1 Updated 17 Jun 2010 , 3:42am by madge1

madge1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madge1 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 4:06am
post #1 of 9

anyone have ideas/recipes for a nice thick caramel that doesn't harden so much if in refrig..... and not so soft it doesn't absorb into the cake if using for a cupcake filling. we are having a hard time finding the right balance in making a yummy turtle cupcake ...any ideas or suggestions??

8 replies
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 4:26am
post #2 of 9

I make caramel candy. Instead of cutting it into squares, I store it in a solid hunk. When needed, I break off some of the caramel, place it in a saucepot with some heavy cream(not a lot). Heat slowly until the caramel is melted. More whipping cream can be added if needed. I can't tell you exact amounts because of the variations in making caramel candy.

Also, this can be done with Kraft caramels. Unwrap the caramels and add to a saucepot with heavy whipping cream(not a lot...more can be added if needed). For an entire bag, I would start with 1/4 cup heavy cream.

Place filling into a squeeze bottle. Bottle can be stored in fridge and reheated in simmering water when needed(up to the storage life of the mixture)

This is what I fill my cupcakes with.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 9:20pm
post #3 of 9

The caramel recipe I have posted here is pretty well thought of....and it's just delicious!
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6851/thick-caramel-sauce-or-filling
Jodie

all4cake Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 9:23pm
post #4 of 9

oh, Jodie! That recipe looks delicious!

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 9:34pm
post #5 of 9

I have used Jodie's recipe before and it was delicious! Although I had to remake it and not cook it as long because it turned out way too thick and I was wanting to use it as a filling to a cake but really couldn't spread and it would have had to be chewed when the cake was eaten. Rather than cooking it to the soft ball stage, I just brought the ingredients to a simmer until it thickened a little and it turned out great. Its the recipe that I will use for caramel from now on!

all4cake Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 9:59pm
post #6 of 9

if it does firm up, simply reheat some of it with a bit more of the whipping cream. I make my caramel like the caramel in a Slow Poke. Then, break off portions of it to be heated with whipping cream...comes out a bit thicker than ice cream caramel topping.

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 1:46pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

if it does firm up, simply reheat some of it with a bit more of the whipping cream. I make my caramel like the caramel in a Slow Poke. Then, break off portions of it to be heated with whipping cream...comes out a bit thicker than ice cream caramel topping.

That's a great idea! I wish I had known that a few weeks ago. I figured I had to start over.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 4:19pm
post #8 of 9

When I make it, I cook it to 238 degrees and then remove it from the pan I was cooking it in. You also want to be sure your candy thermometer is accurate. The easiest way to do that is to put it in boiling water. It should register 212 degrees. Temperature is incredibly important when making candy.

Jodie

madge1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madge1 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 3:42am
post #9 of 9

we actually did that and worked nicely with the candy and whipping cream,,,we're adding caramel to buttercream and dipping in chocolate ganache!! is very rich anbd yummy...Thanks for the input!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%