Pineapple Upside Down Cake

Baking By kittyskakes Updated 21 Jun 2010 , 3:31pm by kittyskakes

kittyskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kittyskakes Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 4:06am
post #1 of 12

I have a HUGE favor to ask of anyone. I want to make a pineapple upside down cake for my hubby for fathers day and have never made one and do not have a recipe for one. Would anyone be interested in sharing theirs with me? I would greatly appreciate it very much.

Thanks much!

11 replies
Rach80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rach80 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 5:28pm
post #2 of 12

Super simple!
Grease your pan
In the pan place your pineapple, some people use rings, I prefer the chunks so you get a bite of pineapple with each bite of cake, I use a a lot of pineapple
I add 1 stick of melted butter
Sprinkle Brown Sugar all over the pineapple & butter
Pour a yellow cake (I prefer the butter flavored yellow cake for the pineapple upside down) over top of that and bake like a normal cake!

This is my Dad's favorite!

kittyskakes Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 12:30am
post #3 of 12

Thank you Rach80!!! I appreciate that SOOOO much and I know my hubby will too icon_smile.gif

Rebealuvsweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rebealuvsweets Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 12:40am
post #4 of 12

U can also use the pineapple juice in place of the water...I make it the same way and it is delicious!!!!super super easy...

audrey0522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audrey0522 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 1:04am
post #5 of 12

To make it really traditional you can start by melting the butter in a cast iron skillet, add the pineapple and everything else. You just put the skillet in your oven and bake. If you use the rings you can put maraschino cherries in each ring and between the rings. You can also use crushed pineapple. Drain the crushed pineapple and as was mentioned use the juice in your cake mix for the liquid. Cherries can be added to the chunk and crushed pineapple to have that old fashioned southern look.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 2:46am
post #6 of 12

I like to use pineapple flavored cake mix. The recipe for the pineapple upside down cake is right on the box. It is very light, moist and delicious.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 3:47am
post #7 of 12

I like to mix brown sugar and butter (12oz of butter to 4# brown sugar - of course that makes 12 pans, so reduce yours) and put that down, then pineapple rings and cherries, then cake mix. grease the pan heavily and use parchment under all this, trim, free sides from pan, and invert about 10 minutes after its out of the oven, and then remove the pan about 10 minutes after that and you should be great.

kittyskakes Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 2:17am
post #8 of 12

Thank you all SOOOO much. He will be SOO surprised. I'll post some pics after its done icon_smile.gif

kittyskakes Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 2:51am
post #9 of 12

Oh I think I'm gonna combine a bunch of ideas and pray for the best lol.

LisaMarie86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMarie86 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 3:11am
post #10 of 12

my dads favorite he puts butter and brown sugar in the bottom of the pan then pineapple rings with a cherry in the middle of each ring. Then uses yellow cake mix made with the juice from the pineapple instead of water. Simple cake and very delicious.

Moppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moppie Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 2:00am
post #11 of 12

Hope it's not too late for you, but here's the recipe I use and I have yet to hear anything bad about it.

8oz granulated sugar
6.75oz softened unsalted butter
--Cream together

8oz white cake flour
1t baking powder
1/4t baking soda
1/4t kosher salt
--Sift together, add to butter/sugar when creamed

Add 1/2c sour cream, mix til incorporated.

3oz egg yolks
1/4c sour cream
1.5t vanilla extract

Add to batter, mix for 2 minutes, scraping down the bowl often.

I also use a glaze, made from:
7oz brown sugar (I use dark & light, use whatever's on-hand, won't matter too much)
4oz melted unsalted butter
2oz light corn syrup

Bring the glaze ingredients together. I usually will do it in a small saucepan, since it's easier when everything is heated and melted nicely.

Spray/grease your pans. This batter will fill 2 8" square cake pans, or 1 13x9. Use whatever you've got on hand. Pour enough glaze into the bottom of the pan to give it a nice coating. Add the pineapple rings, and put maraschino cherries in the middle of the rings.

At this point, before adding the batter to the pan(s), I will add one of those small cans of crushed pineapple bits to the batter, drained of course. Mix just enough to distribute, then pour the batter.

Put into a 350 degree oven for 35 minutes or toothpick/knife comes clean.

Let the cake cool for about a half-hour before turning out, otherwise the glaze will go everywhere. If it's too hard to turn out, reheat the pan over a stove burner just enough to soften the glaze.

Enjoy!

kittyskakes Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 3:31pm
post #12 of 12

So I made the cake for him yesterday...he was SOOOO surprised. I combined a bunch of ideas and his words were "omg this is banging!" lol

I put melter butter and brown sugar on the bottom of the pan, pineapple rings on top of that, cherries inside the rings, between the rings, etc. I made the cake using pineapple juice inside of water, added to pan and baked. Very easy and he was in heaven.

Thanks again for ALL the comments, recipes, advice, etc, it is GREATLY appreciated!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%