Cake Carving W/o Chilling It First & Sharon's Dvd

Decorating By Dreme Updated 14 Jun 2010 , 3:58pm by Dreme

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 11:58pm
post #1 of 6

For those who don't refrigerate your cakes: How do you carve your cakes at room temp? Do you do carved cakes? I have tried the whole room temp cake to fondant thing (discussed in another thread) and it worked, but this week I got my first carved cake. I'm skeptical about carving at room temp. My cake is on the very moist end, (doctored recipe), so i'm not working with a dense cake. Refrigeration has worked before but now my method has changed.

Oh, does anyone know if in Sharon's fondant & buttercream dvd's if your supposed to put the cake in the fridge or leave it on the counter while its in the bag. I went back and watched both, and it never really said which to do. I only saw when she said something about the condensation built up in the bag. If its mentioned can someone tell me at what point its said? I tried doing both and both worked, but I would like to know what is the right way.

5 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 12:53am
post #2 of 6

Always freeze the cake before carving. Get it out of the freezer, fill and THEN carve. Once carved then crumbcoat it and let sit and settle for a minimum of 2 hours...longer if you can...so the cake can thaw and come to room temp. After this you do not want to cool your cake again. Cover with fondant then cover from the elements. Watch for the next 2 hours in case any bubbles form but if you've allowed your cake to fully reach room temp you shouldn't have a problem with bubbles. There just is no way to carve a cake easily unless it's mostly frozen. By the time you torte and fill it the cake will still be mostly frozen and easy to carve. HTH. Cat

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 1:12am
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreme

Oh, does anyone know if in Sharon's fondant & buttercream dvd's if your supposed to put the cake in the fridge or leave it on the counter while its in the bag. I went back and watched both, and it never really said which to do. I only saw when she said something about the condensation built up in the bag. If its mentioned can someone tell me at what point its said? I tried doing both and both worked, but I would like to know what is the right way.

I think I can say with a fair amount of certainty that Sharon leaves her's out on the counter. I'm not sure how I remember this... it might have been discussed in a forum or it might be implied in the video. You could always try PMing her with your question. She is known on here as "sugarshack." HTH

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 1:16am
post #4 of 6

I carve either partially frozen or put the cake in the fridge for a good while and that helps a lot! I have tried carving a room temp. cake and it just doesn't work for me. As far as sugarshack goes, I'm pretty sure she leaves her cakes at room temp to settle overnight in the bags. I just watched the buttercream dvd on friday before I iced a wedding cake and I'm not sure she explicitly says it but it is at least implied that she leaves them out to settle.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 3:54am
post #5 of 6

always on the counter; no fridging for me. I am pretty sure I say that in the DVD but would have to go watch it to tell you where....LOL ( been too long)

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 3:58pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone for your help. The cake is coming out good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%