Will It Fall?

Decorating By pinky317 Updated 15 Jun 2010 , 2:34pm by pinky317

pinky317 Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 10:52pm
post #1 of 13

So my cake turned out great. Its only a 2 stack cake,Bc with fondant decor. I set it up last night and everything held up just fine. Survived the 15 min delivery but when I looked at it while putting it on the table I noticed it bowing out where the filling is in the middle of the cake on both layers. Do you think it will fall over? Im sitting here worring myself to death over this.

12 replies
DreamCakeBaker007 Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 11:44pm
post #2 of 13

1. did you use a sturdy "pound " cake recipe?
2. did you use supports in the bottom layers? dowels? straws?
3. did you use cardboard under each layer and fondant layers seperately
4. did you use a damm and small amts of icing and filling?
5. did you roll your fondant as thin as possible for the cake?
Place cake in fridge now, you may be able to prevent further bowing.

kakeladi Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 12:23am
post #3 of 13

It sounds like you might have used too much filling w/o enough of a dam to hold it in. Most likely nothing more will happen and it will be just fine.
As the other poster said, if you doweled it properly,& used cake board under to upper tier, there should not be a problem. ,

Karen421 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 12:32am
post #4 of 13

Did you allow it to settle before putting on the final coat of bc?

pinky317 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 12:48am
post #5 of 13

Well lets see if I can answer everything. I didnt use any fondant except for a small amount of circles and stars to decorate and a fondant cap on the top tier.
Im not sure about a pound cake recipe but I did get the one I used from a Wilton cake class. I made carrot cake for the bottom cake. I used pudding for the center with a double damn.
I used cardboard cake circles under the top tier and 6 "straws" for the supports. The straws I used were an extremely strong plastic. I had a very hard time cutting them with scissors.

I already delivered the cake and it looked perfect at home so it was during the drive that it started bowing. I was just worried that once I left all hell broke loose! lol

tiggy2 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 12:52am
post #6 of 13
Originally Posted by Karen421

Did you allow it to settle before putting on the final coat of bc?

That's what I'm thinking too.

pinky317 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 1:55am
post #7 of 13

hmmm not sure if I let it settle long enough. I filled them and then crumb coated both of them and then buy the time I was done with the second one I went back to the first and then iced it. I would have just figured if it was that it would have happened overnight...How long should I wait before icing them?

tiggy2 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 1:56am
post #8 of 13

Cakes need to settle several hours after filling before icing is applied.

mamawrobin Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 3:26am
post #9 of 13

I agree with Tiggy and Karen. You need to allow your cake time to settle before that final coat of bc.

pinky317 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 3:20pm
post #10 of 13

Well I havent heard anything back yet from my cousin. Not sure if that is good or bad...

DreamCakeBaker007 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 1:03pm
post #11 of 13

As a rule of thumb, I put all my cakes into the freezer overnight. The cake not only has to settle, but cool all the way to the center or it won't hold up for heavier loads. When I take them out of the freezer, I allow 30 minutes or so then I cut off edges, dark places, tops and bottoms and torte them. All of my layers are cut so the final 2 cake layers, are actually a 4 layers with bc and looks nicer. That way you get away with using less bc, and having more layers to display it. It looks more elegent too, professional. Good Luck!!

Sassy74 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 1:24pm
post #12 of 13

Just to be sure they've settled, I let my cakes sit overnight after I've filled/stacked them. Then ice them the next day. It really helps with the bulging middles! Hope your cake is OK.

pinky317 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 2:34pm
post #13 of 13

Well everything went fine. She loved it and wrote very nice comments on my facebook about it!

I dont like icing the cake defrosted though.... but I am going to do a test cake to see how it goes. Thank you so much for all the responses!! Love learning new tips and tricks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%