Poison Ivy!!

Lounge By cakesbycathy Updated 18 Jun 2010 , 12:27pm by KHalstead

cakesbycathy Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 8:10pm
post #1 of 11

Arghhhh! Itch! Itch! Itch!

I have the WORST case of poison ivy/poison oak!! It is up my legs to my knees, covering my arms, fingers, and now (because I can't stop freaking itching) on my neck icon_cry.gif My legs are actually covered in welts, it's so bad icon_cry.gif

I ended up at the CVS minute clinic today in desperation (since none of the OTC stuff was working) and she actually said it's one of the worst cases she's ever seen icon_surprised.gif
I am downing large doses of prednisone (sp?) for a week.

And I swear if my DH tells me one more time to stop scratching...grrr he's even got the kids telling me now
Itch! Itch! Itch! Itch!

10 replies
tesso Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 8:28pm
post #2 of 11

shhh.. dont tell.. (((scratch))).. (((scratch))...((( scratch)).. that better?

I feel so bad for you. My sister looks at the stuff and ends up in the emergency room!! It had swollen her eyes and nose shut before, they were afraid it would get in her mouth and they would have to tube her to breathe.

I hope it stops itching soon. Sending more ((scratch)) ((scratch)) your way !! icon_biggrin.gif

good grief forgot to tell you to get TECNU you can get it at pharmacy. IT IS WONDERFUL. you put it on before you go out to prevent poison ivy.. and you wash with it after and use it in laundry to get rid of the oils that cause the rash.

Texas_Rose Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 9:37pm
post #3 of 11

One of my neighbors had poison oak really bad. We read online that milk of magnesia would help (applied on the rash itself), and it did.

My daughter has a bad fire ant allergy and she has to take steriods when she's stung. By the second day usually the worst of the itching is over.

mkolmar Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 4:00am
post #4 of 11

Have you went to the doctor for it? I was given a script for a case of horrible poison ivy.
Here's a side tip for you; the roots are 100x more potent than the plant itself. They also spread underground so even if you don't have it in your yard and your neighbor does don't go digging close by.

Rachie204 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 2:03am
post #5 of 11

please go to the doctor first thing in the morning...they will give you a shot and you will feel 1000x better....I am apparently very allergic to poison oak and ended up having to go in......it has been a few years but I remember it working fairly quickly. (I wasn't even outside....got it from washing hubby's clothes)

Doug Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 2:22am
post #6 of 11

additional warning from one who was deathly allergic to poison ivy.


while the shots for it will work (don't I know) and fels naptha soap is great to get the oil off....

as you get older have a good chance of also becoming allergic to cashews and any product derived from them like Chinese lacquer.


yep, cashews are related to poison ivy/oak/sumac.

and the reaction is the same, but includes your INSIDES too! (don't I know!)

mamawrobin Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 2:22am
post #7 of 11

My 15 year old son is terribly allergic to poison ivy but none of the rest of are. The first time he broke out with it he was 18 months old. Our neighbors were clearing land to build their house on and they were burning huge piles of brush. That night he broke out with a terrible rash from head to toe and I took him to the emergency room. He had apparently inhaled smoke from the neighbors brushpile and had poison ivy in his mouth and throat. He also had it in his eyes, ears and all over his little body. He had to be hospitalized for 2 days because he couldn't eat or drink anything. He has had countless bouts with poison ivy throughout the years. I've never seen anyone as allergic to that stuff as he is.

He gets a shot from the doctor as soon as we notice a break out. It helps some but he still suffers from it. It just has to run it's course. I'm so thankful I'm not allergic after seeing how he's suffered each time he's had it.

Doug Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 2:27am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

My 15 year old son is terribly allergic to poison ivy but none of the rest of are. The first time he broke out with it he was 18 months old. Our neighbors were clearing land to build their house on and they were burning huge piles of brush. That night he broke out with a terrible rash from head to toe and I took him to the emergency room. He had apparently inhaled smoke from the neighbors brushpile and had poison ivy in his mouth and throat. He also had it in his eyes, ears and all over his little body. He had to be hospitalized for 2 days because he couldn't eat or drink anything. He has had countless bouts with poison ivy throughout the years. I've never seen anyone as allergic to that stuff as he is.

He gets a shot from the doctor as soon as we notice a break out. It helps some but he still suffers from it. It just has to run it's course. I'm so thankful I'm not allergic after seeing how he's suffered each time he's had it.




check into allergy shots -- I was so bad they just did a 7 shot, full strength series -- didn't mess around with the graduated strength strung out over a year or more. Killed the reaction to poison ivy (tho those cashews get me now -- at least those I can easily avoid, tho' finding a trail mix without them is difficult)

tesso Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 2:34am
post #9 of 11

[/quote]

(tho those cashews get me now -- at least those I can easily avoid, tho' finding a trail mix without them is difficult)[/quote]

doug!! make your own trail mix !!!

mamawrobin Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 2:52am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

My 15 year old son is terribly allergic to poison ivy but none of the rest of are. The first time he broke out with it he was 18 months old. Our neighbors were clearing land to build their house on and they were burning huge piles of brush. That night he broke out with a terrible rash from head to toe and I took him to the emergency room. He had apparently inhaled smoke from the neighbors brushpile and had poison ivy in his mouth and throat. He also had it in his eyes, ears and all over his little body. He had to be hospitalized for 2 days because he couldn't eat or drink anything. He has had countless bouts with poison ivy throughout the years. I've never seen anyone as allergic to that stuff as he is.

He gets a shot from the doctor as soon as we notice a break out. It helps some but he still suffers from it. It just has to run it's course. I'm so thankful I'm not allergic after seeing how he's suffered each time he's had it.



check into allergy shots -- I was so bad they just did a 7 shot, full strength series -- didn't mess around with the graduated strength strung out over a year or more. Killed the reaction to poison ivy (tho those cashews get me now -- at least those I can easily avoid, tho' finding a trail mix without them is difficult)




Thanks Doug I will. He has missed a week of school at a time due to poison ivy. He had it on the bottom of both feet as wasn't able to wear shoes. I'm calling his doctor tomorrow to ask about those shots. I appreciate the info.

KHalstead Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 12:27pm
post #11 of 11

There is some OTC stuff called "Tecnu" that works amazingly well. It comes out as a liquid that you rub over the poison ivy, don't rub so vigorously that you break open the poison ivy blisters, but enough that you get it well worked up into a lather (it is kinda gritty so it actually feels REALLY good to rub it on your skin since it kinda itches you lol)........then you wait a minute (it turns kinda pasty) and then rinse it off and pat dry your skin with a paper towel.

My DS and my DH get poison ivy SEVERAL times a year, my DS had it so bad his fingers were swelled up with blisters so much that all his fingers were touching when his hand was opened as far as it would go. We used the tecnu on him, every time he started to itch (it kills the itchiness for several hours after you use it by the way) and it was gone COMPLETELY in 2 days.....not ONE sign he had ever had it after 48 hrs.!

It's kind of expensive (compared to other OTC stuff)...anywhere from $7-$15 for a bottle/tube of it...but well worth it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%