What Should I Use For My Cricut Cake Fondant Or Gum Paste?

Decorating By yummycupcake Updated 23 Jun 2010 , 4:50am by iluvpeeks

yummycupcake Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 6:01pm
post #1 of 5

I just got my cricut cake today and I don't what to use. I read that some people use fondant with tylose and others gum paste. What should I use? wilton or satin ice?
What thickness and what pressure and speed?

I am getting a little frustrated. I used satin ice gumpaste and rolled it 1/16" medium pressure and medium speed and it did not cut clean. It looked like it tear it a little on the edges.

4 replies
tiggy2 Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 6:15pm
post #2 of 5

I usw Wilton fondant with very good luck. I roll it to #3 on my KA pasta roller and let it dry on the mat for 10-15 minutes. I used medium pressure and speed. I got nice cuts the very first try.

iluvpeeks Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 6:28pm
post #3 of 5

You can use either gumpaste or Fondant, or fondant with tylose added.
Make sure you use a pretty generous amout of shortening on your cutting mat. I also found that if I roll it directly onto the cutting mat it helps. Another thing is to put it in your refrigerator for about 15-20 minutes. I also sprinkle a little corn starch on top of the fondant before cutting. It seems to help. Also, do a search on cc. There have been many questions answered, and tips in the forums. Good luck, it is a learning curve, but once you get the hang of it, and figure out what works for you its all cake.
No pun intended! I just posted a picture of what I did with the cricut cake.
Have fun.

yummycupcake Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 11:26pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you so much for the info!

iluvpeeks Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 4:50am
post #5 of 5

Hi Yummycupcake
Did you have any luck? I also forgot to mention a really good gumpaste recipe that works really good. Its on CuttingEdgeCakeArt.com. All you have to do is sign up for their newsletter, and they email the recipe to you.
I am really pleased the recipe, and its real easy to make. I'm going to purchase the pasta roller attachment for my KA this week. From what I have read on this site, and the cricut site, it makes a difference. Than you still roll the gumpaste onto the mat to make sure its really stuck to the mat. Some of the more intricate designs are still hit or miss, which can be a real pain. Maybe someone will read this and have another trick to share.

Quote by @%username% on %date%