Going To Be On Local Tv, What Should I Wear??!

Business By Steph2325 Updated 15 Jun 2010 , 6:32pm by Steph2325

Steph2325 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steph2325 Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 4:59pm
post #1 of 13

Hello Cake Friends,

I've been making gluten-free cakes and cupcakes for about a year and I'm going to be interviewed on our local TV news about food allergies and my business. I'll be doing a baking/decorating demo along with the interview. Any tips on what I should wear? I obviously want to look professional and credible, but I don't want to wear a baker's uniform either (although I certainly will if I should!).

Anyone been on TV or know anything about it? Thanks in advance!

Stephanie

12 replies
foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 5:01pm
post #2 of 13

Well, do you have/can you get an apron with your bakery name on it?

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 5:13pm
post #3 of 13

Personally, I love the look of chefs coats...so I would be inclined to wear one......would be really nice if you had one with your company logo/name on it too.

If you find it too "stuffy" then go with a pink one or purple or something a little more playful........or a funky apron would be cute too!

Someone on here makes vintage 50's aprons that are amazing!!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 5:20pm
post #4 of 13

I agree with foxymomma, your logo apron (optional) and definitely a chef coat. Why wouldn't you want to wear one? It's professional looking, and if you feel like you can't move in it, you can always wear the short sleeve ones.

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 5:30pm
post #5 of 13

I love the chef coat! But, if you don't want that I agree with the apron with your logo/name on it. What a great way to get your name out there along with a visual of your business.

Other than that I would probably wear khaki pants icon_smile.gif

Congrats on the oportunity!!!

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 6:03pm
post #6 of 13

Whatever you choose, just don't wear a loud pattern as it tends to magnify on television. Solid colors work best - avoiding very bright oranges, yellows or reds.

Good luck and have a great time on TV!!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 6:36pm
post #7 of 13

good advice so far....

to which I would add:

color is better than even a white coat (can get burn out on cameras)

if go color route for chef's coat pick a color that is complimentary to your skin tone

---

a very nice blouse and pants ensemble with a logoed apron is dashing (and could even add a ball cap that you wear up high on forehead (and put hair in pony tail and run it out back of cap)

---

if they want to do makeup on you, have top/coat/apron with you so makeup artist can account for the color and how it will reflect on your skin (from all those HOT BRIGHT lights)

----

and finally, this advice from Annie (everyone sing along)

"You're never fully dressed without a SMILE! -- so smile darn ya SMILE!"

Steph2325 Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 9:13pm
post #8 of 13

This is some excellent advice, thank you all! I hadn't thought of the apron with my business name/logo (DUH!), but I think I might do that with a nice top and khaki pants. If you have any additional tips, I'm still listening. Thanks a billion!

Stephanie

Majie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Majie Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 9:45pm
post #9 of 13

if i were you i would look really smart, people love it when smart looking people do their cakes. Look at the lady chefs or cooks on the cooking programs on Tele.

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 11:16am
post #10 of 13

a smile.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 12:29pm
post #11 of 13

ok, so now that you know what to wear..................what station and where is it airing and when????????

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 1:03pm
post #12 of 13

I think the chef coat makes people look like an authority, and extremely professional. An apron reminds me more of a homestyle baker.

Look at this picture of Kerry Vincent on the cover of the new Cake Central magazine.
http://shop.cakecentral.com/Cake-Central-Magazine-p/cakemag.htm

Neither is better than the other, it just depends on what type of business you have and how you want people to think of that business. For instance, maybe someone in a cupcake shop would wear an apron while a baker in a high end cake shop would wear a chef coat. It's all about perception of your potential customers.

Have fun on the show!

Steph2325 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 6:32pm
post #13 of 13

Thanks for all your suggestions! I'll post the link when it airs. Wish me luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%