Help Me Cover Cake Pleaseeeeeee

Decorating By silvana43 Updated 14 Jun 2010 , 3:58pm by silvana43

silvana43 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
silvana43 Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 4:54pm
post #1 of 10

I need help I have a wedding cake for June 19. What do you recommend fondant? sugar paste? if you have the recipe with sugar paste

9 replies
njoycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
njoycakes Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 4:57pm
post #2 of 10

fondant is the same as sugarpaste, it's just the european name for fondant.
I haven't been brave enough to make my own fondant yet, I just use the bought stuff. By all accounts MMF is supposed to have a good flavour, you could try that, plenty of recipes online.
Good luck!

silvana43 Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 5:09pm
post #3 of 10

mmf doesnt have the same ingriends that sugarpaste does though. thats the only difference. do you think mmf is the best for a wedding cake

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 5:24pm
post #4 of 10

If you are looking for a fondant covered cake there are a couple of tried and true recipes in the recipe section here.
MM fondant is ok but on something like a wedding cake I might be inclined to use Michele's recipe below.
The fondant I prefer requires some ordering of supplies on line so you wont have time for that.

Have a look here:
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7446/michele-fosters-fondant

and if you want to use MM:
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/5213/addendum-to-rhondas-ultimate-mmf

silvana43 Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 6:06pm
post #5 of 10

i use my mm fondant, icing sugar water mmf mini but with this heat I'm afraid I wanted to use sugar paste that where it says that clicerin glucose and more resistant to heat what you think but I want a recipe with measures to make a perfect 3 storey cake for 100 people sorry but I can not write well english i am italian but live in usa

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 6:12pm
post #6 of 10

First of all, how confident are you about doing a wedding cake? I mean if you are experienced in decorating, great...I just mean it's kind of an important cake to be doing and not be aware of different fondants. Heck, I'm doing a 4th of July hat cake that I'm planning on covering in fondant and I'm freaking out on it because I've never done a fondant cover before--and this is just for a friend's party that I'm going to! You could practice on a dummy cake...I know I am! I do know that MM fondant is not hard to make and is delicious. I also know that Fondarific fondant tastes really good and can be bought pre-made. I personally have used the Wilton fondant for cut-outs and decor. I don't think it tastes bad but I don't think I'd cover a whole cake with it. Anyway, good luck and post your cake when you're finished! icon_biggrin.gif

silvana43 Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 6:39pm
post #7 of 10

thanks for your answer I used many times mmf fonfant winter time... but never in summer and that my fear does not stand the heat

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 9:06am
post #8 of 10

I used Fondarific on a wedding cake this weekend. This is what the company emailed me when I was asking about the fondant holding up in the heat. Thank you for your interest in Fondarific! I have not heard of that...but
it sounds like it would work and be wonderfully delicious. I read on your
email that this is an outdoor wedding, Fondarific holds up great up to a
temperature of 125 degrees, but just do not put it into direct
sunlight....it is the ultra violet rays that Fondarific does not like. If
you have any other questions please feel free to call or email us.
It's kind of difficult to knead at first but easy to roll and lift to cover. No rips or tears because the fondant has a rubbery texture. They have wonderful flavors to choose from. The best price I have found is at fondantsource. Also works great over ganache.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 12:10pm
post #9 of 10

I've made mmf several times and haven't had good results with it so I can't give any advice on whether or not it will hold up to heat. Personally I would use a better quality fondant for a wedding cake than mmf. I use Michele Foster's fondant and it holds up very well to heat and humidity. It is also a higher quality fondant than mmf and just about as easy to make.

silvana43 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 3:58pm
post #10 of 10

thank you mamawrobin see the founding Michael Foster's I think is the right one, tomorrow prepare crossing my fingers ,when you think that I get a cake for 100 people 3 levels

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%