Questions About Consultations.

Decorating By luvbuttercream Updated 14 Jun 2010 , 12:00pm by Loucinda

luvbuttercream Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 4:17pm
post #1 of 5

I am going to be having my first formal in person consultation right away. Most people I take orders from have just done it via the phone or email and picked up or had me drop of samples. Now in a formal consultations what am I supposed to provide. Do you do samples at this time or just go over details and do samples at a later date?? Do you usually have a photo book to go through and a printed menu to view so far all of my stuff is just on my website. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

4 replies
MomMiller Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 4:35pm
post #2 of 5

I have a note book with diagrams of cakes shapes and stacking options. I have a list of the flavor combinations that I do and also bring along a serving chart. I always carry pictures with me. At the consult, I listen to what it is that they want and are expecting. I give them options and offer any advice I can. If at the end of the consult they want to contract me we then set a date for a tasting. I take an order of the top 4 flavor combinations they think they would like and I make those for the tasting.
Hope this helps.

luvbuttercream Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 1:00am
post #3 of 5

Thank you so much that does help a lot.

Cakechick123 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 7:05am
post #4 of 5

I do mine a little different. The consult is also a tasting for me. I have samples, 3 flavors of my choice, my portfolio and some other books with wedding pics. I tell them to bring along any ideas they have and also a colour sample ( a piece of ribbon or paper)
This way the bride only needs to meet with me once. After the consultation I mail her a quote and then the invoice and contract if she accepts. She completes it and mail or fax it back to me.

Some of my customers comes from as far as 50 miles away, so this way they dont need to make a seperate trip, we can do everything at once.

Loucinda Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 12:00pm
post #5 of 5

I do the same as cakechick. I like to keep it simple. They can either fax or mail the contract to me if they decide to book. I have done several weddings that the bride and groom are from out of state - there is no way to meet with them several times before the wedding. Combining the tasting/consultation works perfectly for me. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%