Tasting Woes

Business By pinkpiggie78 Updated 21 Jun 2010 , 9:21pm by johnson6ofus

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 1:03pm
post #31 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezie

so what about party cakes? We have a client that wants to come and try two of our frostings for a $60 cake!

For this they can buy a sample cake or a small "to go" tasting.... no freebies.

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 1:03pm
post #32 of 40

I have only been in the business for a little over a year and took a 4 month break in the middle of it due to the birth of my child. I am still trying to establish myself, so I guess I have been jumping through some hoops, in addition to trying to do what other bakers do in my area.

I definately store up tastings in my freezer though! I am leaning towards offering what kitagirl does, as it seems like a good compromise. I will say of the 8 tastings I did, the two brides that requested specific flavors, I booked.

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 1:27pm
post #33 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindy1975

speaking of PUMPKIN............OMG!!!!!! Have any of you even had any orders for pumpkin in any of your wedding tiers lately? I booked a wedding last year for this weekend, and the bride wantes one of the tiers to be pumpkin........I have gone to every grocery store in town and NO ONE has any canned pumpking on the shelves! Anyone else having this problem? I had to ask around at church yesterday and call friends to scrape up several cans of pumpkin so I could make this one tier! Thank god she chose that flavor for only an 11" tier! lol Sorry, didn't mean to hi-jack your thread! lol

There's actually a pumpkin shortage and there is a fear that it will still be there come this fall. If you can find it, stock up because a LOT of places are running out. You can google "2010 pumpkin crop" and come up with some of the articles out there about it.

HTH!

And to the OP, I agree with Debi that you're being overly accommodating. It's nice, but some people might take advantage. Good luck on whatever you decide. icon_smile.gif

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 2:36pm
post #34 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpiggie78

I guess I still continue to look at it from the consumer's point of view... if I know I want carrot cake at my wedding, I want to taste YOUR carrot cake. Maybe I just get picky brides?

And this is fine but if I do not have this specific flavor on hand and have to bake it up special for a consultation that is free then it will be $10 which I put in a box for them to take the rest home with them.

"Reminding people is inferring that they are too stupid to remember the appointment, try CONFIRMING the appointment! If you called to "remind" me I would automatically tell you that I am smart enough to remember the appointment that I made and then would cancel. I find this assumption patronizing and condescending. I learned this from a DDS that I worked for many years ago."

I thought the same thing. I used to never call or send out a reminder/confirmation email to my brides. Didn't want to feel like a doctor's office. Plus, I assumed we are all adults and after all THEY made the appointment and it's for ther WEDDING--a major event in their life. Then just recently I had one show up a whole DAY early. I wasn't even home, my DH was and he was frantically trying to get me on my cell which I had left on vibrate (oops!). Poor guy handled it very well I must say. He showed them my appointment book that is on a table near the front door and it clearly had their names on for the next day. All turned out well, we were both very apologetic to each other, rescheduled the consult and yes they booked with me icon_smile.gif

Needless to say after that incident I now send out a confirmation email a couple days prior to their appointment with me.

Mindy1975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mindy1975 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 3:53pm
post #35 of 40

Well of course it's always all or nothing! lol My dad found a 6 lb can of pumpkin at GFS! lol Success! Thanks everyone for your replies! Can I freeze any extra?? Or make lots of pumpkin bread? lol

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 3:54pm
post #36 of 40

I don't see why you couldn't measure it into freezer bags for your recipes and then freeze...I've never tried it but I would think it would be fine.

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 3:59pm
post #37 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindy1975

Well of course it's always all or nothing! lol My dad found a 6 lb can of pumpkin at GFS! lol Success! Thanks everyone for your replies! Can I freeze any extra?? Or make lots of pumpkin bread? lol

You might be able to sell it! lol I'm serious...I think some people are selling extra cans on ebay for ridiculous amounts.

But other than that, I would think it would freeze just fine. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 6:40am
post #38 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCC

One wanted to try every cake, filling, and icing flavor on our menu...a total of 50 different flavors. icon_eek.gif

I had one that wanted that but with my FOOD items. She sent me a list of 5 meats, 4 or 5 veggies, 3 kinds of potatoes, rice and oh yeah....."fresh fruit" that she wanted to sample. Are you freakin' kidding me? you're trying to tell me that you've never eaten a freakin' strawberry before? icon_eek.gif She was one of those that, after meeting with her, I managed to "somehow" lose her quote in the cyber black hole. icon_rolleyes.gif You didn't have to be a genius to know what kind of bridal headache SHE was going to be!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCC

She wanted us to go in the back kitchen and put some "real" wedding cakes together while she waited. icon_surprised.gif Really? icon_confused.gif

Well why not? They do it on TV! icon_lol.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 3:22pm
post #39 of 40

Pumpkin- canned or fresh- freezes nicely.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 9:21pm
post #40 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCC

One wanted to try every cake, filling, and icing flavor on our menu...a total of 50 different flavors. icon_eek.gif She sent me an email request and listed them all out.

Tasting= BUFFET, and FREE!

<sigh> Bridezillas..... icon_mad.gif Like your business is there for her amusement.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%