Question About Wilton Pans

Decorating By Allidsk8 Updated 18 Jun 2010 , 6:58pm by Allidsk8

Allidsk8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Allidsk8 Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 1:37pm
post #1 of 9

Am I crazy or are the sides on the Wilton Pans not totally straight? For some reason I am noticing this on my cake for today more than normal. Also, I don't seem to have this issue with my 6 in set, only my 9 in. Am I nuts?

8 replies
terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 1:51pm
post #2 of 9

No, you're not nuts! These are nothing but junk!
terri

q2wheels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
q2wheels Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 11:14pm
post #3 of 9

It depends on which Wilton pans you are using. I have all Decorator Preferred pans and not one of them has slanted sides. None of my pans "nest" one inside of the other.

I respectfully disagree with the previous poster, I do NOT think the Decorator Preferred pans by Wilton are "junk". Each and every cake in my photos was made with those pans. As a hobby decorator (and a person with a tight budget), Wilton pans work well for me.

HTH,

Toni Ann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allidsk8

Am I crazy or are the sides on the Wilton Pans not totally straight? For some reason I am noticing this on my cake for today more than normal. Also, I don't seem to have this issue with my 6 in set, only my 9 in. Am I nuts?

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 2:32am
post #4 of 9

Toni Ann,
I was talking about the regular Wilton pans, not the decorator preferred ones. If both sets work for you then that is great. The other set had me cutting and trying to get the sides even; so for me they were junk. JMHO
terri

kerrimanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerrimanda Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 2:46am
post #5 of 9

I have an 8x3 and an 8x2. They are not the same size!! I didn't realize this until I had already stacked the bigger of the 2 on top! I had to trim it while it was on the other layer. When I put the pans end to end, they are clearly not the same size.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 3:17am
post #6 of 9

[quote="Allidsk8"]Am I crazy or are the sides on the Wilton Pans not totally straight? For some reason I am noticing this on my cake for today more than normal. Also, I don't seem to have this issue with my 6 in set, only my 9 in. Am I nuts?[/quote

You're not crazy. I have several size Wilton pans and the only ones that "nest" are the 9" pans. The 6",8",10"and 12" all have straight sides and will not fit inside one another.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 3:22am
post #7 of 9

It's that inconsistency that makes Wilton pans . . . less than desirable.

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 3:33am
post #8 of 9

I bought Wilton pans for my first class and have since donated them to goodwill. they are terrible. I use either Williams Sonoma gold pans (guaranteed for life) or Magic Line. For me they just seem flimsy and overpriced. I've never had a problem with my other pans.

Allidsk8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Allidsk8 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 6:58pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you for all of the replies, I now know that what is making me nuts is that I have the 9" pans that nest. I got them on sale years ago and they didn't have the paper in them to tell you what size they were. I kinda just assumed they were 8in. Thank you all for solving the mystery for me and letting me know I'm not crazy!!! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%