Single Or Double Pans?

Decorating By Rosey1120 Updated 15 Jun 2010 , 12:35pm by idocakes4fun

Rosey1120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosey1120 Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 12:32pm
post #1 of 5

I have 2 12 x 16 pans and want to make a 16 x 24 cake. How difficult is it to line up the cakes without seeing any kind of seam? Or am I better off just getting a 16 x 24 pan? Being a novice hobby baker I appreciate any help I can get. Thank you.

4 replies
LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 1:50pm
post #2 of 5

I remember another conversation here about someone's large pan not fitting into the oven. There were lots of suggestions about making 4 8" squares and putting them together. If I could remember the posting title I would post it here for you.

This is a good question. I think all you have to do is butt them together. I'm thinking along the lines of the cupcakes that are frosted to look like cakes, all in one big surface.

Let's hope someone who has done this chimes in soon. I'm curious too.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 4:02pm
post #3 of 5

I've never had any problems getting them to line up.

Rosey1120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosey1120 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 12:24pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you, Linda and Cheatize, for responding. Found I don't have a choice. Didn't realize my oven was smaller than 24" - should have measured before asking - sorry. icon_redface.gif Sometimes I just get so caught up in this site.... Thanks, again!

idocakes4fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idocakes4fun Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 12:35pm
post #5 of 5

I have "glued" cakes together - some were planned that way and one was the Family Bible cake in my photos that the top layer split into about 6 pieces. The trick to getting a nice clean stick w/out seams is to put a thin layer of BC in between the cakes and "glue" them together. Then put a very thin layer of BC over the seam (so thin that it is almost transparent - but the BC fills in the crack on top) and let it dry completely before you fill or crumb coat. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%