Advise And Critique At My 1St Attept Fondant Cut Outs?

Decorating By Hollandy Updated 14 Jun 2010 , 12:36pm by suzied

Hollandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollandy Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 12:19pm
post #1 of 8

I am making my daughters 2nd birthday cake in August and I want to make a Sesame Street cake with fondant characters faces. I want to try to do them beforehand because I'm sure there are a lot of bumps along the way that I won't forsee so I did a first round this weekend.

I bought premade white fondant and just used some food coloring I had at home so the colors are not near what they will be when I do the real deal. I will order pre-dyed fondant as I want the real, true primary colors. So please don't worry about critiquing the colors (for instance Cookie monster and Grover are green like Oscar LOL).

I whipped up some buttercream to do the piping and only had one color, that's what I used to do the piping, but I think for the real thing I will use black piping gel for the border and mouths. The mouths were relaly hard to do! As were the noses.

I don't think I will fill in grover's mouth next time. Please feel free to give me any advice you have and be kind, it's my first time!
LL

7 replies
Hollandy Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 12:24pm
post #2 of 8

sorry! I didn't attach the picsture and now the pixels are too big! I'll keep trying but just didn't want 10 people to tell me there was no picture. I the meantime if you know how to change the pixels on a picture, feel free to let me know.

Hollandy Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 12:27pm
post #3 of 8

THANK YOU for showing me how to make the pixels smaller. Now, here are my characters...Also if you can give me advice on how far ahead of time to make them I would be grateful.

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 12:28pm
post #4 of 8
Hollandy Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 3:50pm
post #5 of 8

Thank you Tug!

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 10:20pm
post #6 of 8

Honestly, I cant tell much about your actual fondant cutting because of the piping around it.. LOL

I'd be tempted to cut out the mouths and all noses and such too.

Big bird looks great. matter of fact, all the eyes look great, I think the mouths are all you need to work on icon_smile.gif

Just remember to dip your exacto in crisco before each cut. it will make it go through smoother icon_smile.gif

Hollandy Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 6:41am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by chellebyerly

Honestly, I cant tell much about your actual fondant cutting because of the piping around it.. LOL

I'd be tempted to cut out the mouths and all noses and such too.

Big bird looks great. matter of fact, all the eyes look great, I think the mouths are all you need to work on icon_smile.gif

Just remember to dip your exacto in crisco before each cut. it will make it go through smoother icon_smile.gif

Chellebyerly thank you for the comments. I was amazed at how different all of their eyes were actually shaped when I started cutting them. When I think about Sesame Street characters I think "round eyes" but when actually doing them they were all different shapes.

I will cut out their mouths and noses next time (like I did Bert's nose here). The little mouths are super hard to do, as I attempted to do it with Grovers originally but it was just so tiny and thin.

Thanks for the tip with the crisco too! I had no idea but it totally makes sense that it would help.

suzied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzied Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 12:36pm
post #8 of 8

Just remember to dip your exacto in crisco before each cut. it will make it go through smoother icon_smile.gif[/quote]

Excellent idea thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%