Fried Chicken

Decorating By shanney54 Updated 13 Jun 2010 , 10:18pm by shanney54

shanney54 Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 8:00am
post #1 of 8

Ok, this might sound silly, but does anyone know how to make fried chicken out of fondant, cookie crumbs, or anything? My bf's family ALWAYS gets a bucket of KFC chicken for July 4th and I thought that it would be funny to try make a cake that looked like it. I've looked at the gallery on here and was just hoping for a little more detail on how to make it. Thanks in advance!!! icon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
PiccoloChellie Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 8:19am
post #2 of 8

Smashed up cornflakes for the texture? I sometimes make Rice Krispy treats with cornflakes instead of rice cereal and they're really good; maybe you could make up a batch of that and adhere it to the chicken-cake pieces?

cakesrock Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 12:57pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiccoloChellie

Smashed up cornflakes for the texture? I sometimes make Rice Krispy treats with cornflakes instead of rice cereal and they're really good; maybe you could make up a batch of that and adhere it to the chicken-cake pieces?

I was also surprised by how little I found searching through the forum posts and the gallery. I agree, the cornflakes would be the most realistic looking for the actual friend chicken. Making the cornflakes as a you would RKT would be the easiest for shaping and such. The bucket would not be too challenging - just stack rounds and carve. I would use an edible image for the KFC logo with the Colonels face. Sounds like a fun challenge! Please post pics when you are done!

shanney54 Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 9:17pm
post #4 of 8

What exactly do you mean when you say "make the cornflakes as you would RKT" for the shaping?

I agree that the bucket will be pretty easy, but I don't have a printer for the edible image. If I did a FBCT would it be ok on the side of the cake?

cakesrock Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 9:37pm
post #5 of 8

PiccoloChellie said she substitutes cornflakes for rice krispies when she makes RKT. So, you would use the same recipe as RKT, just use less butter and mold them into the shape of chicken and add more cornflakes for texture if you so desired. Alternatively, you could use another medium underneath and glue crushed cornflakes to it (cake, gumpaste, or just plain RKT). Though, I think it would be consistent for taste to use the cornflake RKT. Does that make sense?

cakesrock Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 9:41pm
post #6 of 8

Sorry, forgot to respond to the 2nd part of your question: I have never done a FBCT on the side of a cake, so I dont know if it would stay put -I assume it would be fine. It is a lot of work, though...Nor do I have a edible image printer - I am only a hobby baker. Do you have Sobeys grocery store near you? They do edible images for $10 at mine. Saves me a lot of work! Good luck! icon_smile.gif

chellescountrycakes Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 9:43pm
post #7 of 8

I dont do FBCT well. I would make a copy on the puter of the logo, cut it out, then cut it out of fondant with a scalpel.

I like the corn flakes idea.

shanney54 Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 10:18pm
post #8 of 8

PiccoloChellie - Thank you for the corn flakes idea! That's a great idea!

cakesrock - I missed seeing PiccoloChellie talking about using the corn flakes in the RKT. I get it, I get it! No there's not a Sobeys here. I wonder if Wal*mart or Publix might do it?

chellebyerly - I'm kinda new to using fondant, I haven't used that technique yet. Do you have any tips?

Thanks for all the help!!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%