Dulce De Leche Filling...which Method?

Baking By Pickulz Updated 13 Jun 2010 , 4:27pm by Pickulz

Pickulz Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 7:55am
post #1 of 7

I wanted to makea dulche dr leche fillign for a cake. Ive never made it and im not even sure what consistency would be best for a cake filling. Im guessing more thick so it doesnt ooze out the sides.

I looked up online some methods to make it...some suggested immersing the can of condensed milk in water...some said to put it in the micro...and i think some have a brown sugar recipe (like caramel)

Which one do you use? And does it even taste good in cakes?
And do you make it well in advance? Any tips suggestions?

Im going to make a fathers day cake and my hubby likes dulche de leche a lot!!!
Also, I was thinking of keeping the cake itself plain yellow or marble cake. Since I find Dulche de leche quite overpowering in flavour and sweetness?

Now that im thinking about it...do you think it would soak through the cake? I dont want a soggy cake. Plus I will eventually cover the cake with MMF.

Sorry for this looong post!!!

6 replies
patticake1951 Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 1:24pm
post #2 of 7

You can buy it in the ethnic foods aisle at Walmart already caramelized. It is with the spanish food items. I have used it straight out of the can also have mixed it with some white chocolate, or bc. It is good either way, easier to smooth on the cake mixed with bc though.

KayMc Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 1:47pm
post #3 of 7

I am a huge fan of homemade items, but making this myself always intimidated me. If you boil it incorrectly, the can will explode. I say buy it (Nestle makes it) in the Mexican food section @ Walmart. I did, and it's in my cupboard, waiting to be used.

ILE Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 1:50pm
post #4 of 7

i get a can of condensed mik put it in the presure cooker for about 30 mins let it cool off for about 1hr an ready or you could buy it at the supermarket already made..either way is good

egensinnig Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 4:09pm
post #5 of 7

It is SO easy to do in the microwave!!!!!!! All it takes is 20 min and you can choose the consistency you want. Just stop when it is thick enough for your liking. For cake filling I like to make it quite firm and I also do a dam with BC to hold it in.
Here is the recipe - try it, you will never go back to boiling icon_wink.gif

tigerhawk83 Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 4:14pm
post #6 of 7

I'm with Patticake - Nestle makes a Dulce de Leche syrup that I just mixed with my regular buttercream for filling - YUM. I bought it at Walmart. And I didn't refrigerate the cake after decorating - just went with it and it was fine.

Pickulz Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 4:27pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks so much!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%