About To Cry!! Please Help With Fondant

Decorating By Manotas Updated 15 Jun 2010 , 9:09pm by barbo127

Manotas Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 4:38am
post #1 of 23

I've been having a baad cake day! Tomorrow at 2:00pm is my sister in laws baby shower here at my place. Well I've been planing this cake forever, nothing out of this world but special.

Well, everything was done, the only thing I had left to do was cover the cake with fondant and put all the stuff in it, well the MMF was horrible', I had no idea why, then I ran to Michaels and bought the Duff pink fondant; it tastes horrible!! Then I tried butter cream and it looks awful.

Can I cover the cake with fondant even if it is already iced with bc? If not, how can I remove the bc without ruining the cake? I think I am going to go to Michales and get a batch of Wilton's fondant and cover the cake with it, but Michaels doesn''t open until 11:00am sigh.

Is there a way to make that duffs fondant to taste better.

Thank you so much for listening I am really in tears.

22 replies
pinky317 Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 5:02am
post #2 of 23

from what I hear all the fondant tastes bad. I think most people dont really eat it anyway. If It were me I would just put on duffs fondant and warn everyone that its not that tasty. Good luck!

Jess1019 Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 5:03am
post #3 of 23

I always put a layer of buttercream under my fondant. I don't know how to make Duff taste better BUT I think Wilton has improved their product. I used it last week to cover a three tiered cake for a family function and EVERYONE loved it. If you are planing on using a coupon then go to Michaels, otherwise if you want it sooner go to Walmart. They sell it in the crafting section.

Do you have a pic, what recipe bc did you use. If it is a crusting recipe try the viva paper towel method to smooth it out.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

Texas_Rose Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 5:18am
post #4 of 23

If you chill the cake until the buttercream is firm, you can put the fondant over it, even if it's a thick layer of buttercream.

What happened with the MMF? Did you let it rest overnight before you tried to use it?

BeanCountingBaker Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 5:38am
post #5 of 23

There's a recipe on here for jello MMF if you're brave enough to try again. I haven't made it yet, but there was a thread about it not long ago. I don't know what trouble you had with your MMF, but my advice is to be stingy with the powdered sugar and generous with crisco.

Manotas Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 7:06am
post #6 of 23

Thanks for your fast response. I always use marshmallow fondant (Rhona's ultimate) but for some reason today it was all bubbly and when i put it aver the cake it just broke. Today was a bit hot, but not really much. I made it Tuesday.

I did what you suggested, chilled the cake until the buttercream was firm and put the fondant over it, I used Duffs and mixed it a bit of the MMF and it work alright, the test still awful. I will warn everyone tomorrow. Now I'm just going to bed, I've fighting with the cake since 3:30pm and it's 1:15 am.

The thinks you do for a lovely niece that's on her way icon_smile.gif

Thanks so much; I don't know what I'd do with out you.

Loucinda Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 6:06pm
post #7 of 23

I don't refrigerate my buttercream before putting the fondant on it. I don't ever refrigerate a cake unless it has IMBC on it. I have never had a problem. The buttecream makes the fondant adhere better, IMO when it is at room temperature. Everyone does it differently, but that is what works for me.

Sending good cake vibes your way, I hope a good nights sleep helped you get it done today.

Cakepro Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 8:21pm
post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky317

from what I hear all the fondant tastes bad. I think most people dont really eat it anyway. If It were me I would just put on duffs fondant and warn everyone that its not that tasty. Good luck!

Wow. Have you tried every fondant out there? You don't hand over a cake to a client or otherwise and then tell everyone that something on the cake is going to taste bad.

When people would come into my bakery with the "I heard that fondant tastes bad" line, I would pinch them off a piece of Pettinice or FondX fondant and let them try for themselves. Not a SINGLE person ever said it tasted bad, and today in fact, I delivered a cake for a lady who was one of the ones I won over in this manner, and she SPECIFICALLY ordered a fondant cake for her shower. Pettinice and FondX fondant tastes wonderful. So does Albert Uster. And Satin Ice Dark Chocolate. It's a matter of personal preference.

KayMc Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 9:48pm
post #9 of 23

Duff's fondant is DELISCIOUS!!! (It is also known as Fondarific fondant). I had it on a cake yesterday and everyone who ate it remarked on how good it was.

barbo127 Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 10:08pm
post #10 of 23

I Make my own Fondant. not the MMF but another recipe that I got off this site and it taste a lot better and is a lot easier to work with. LOVE IT!!!!

KKristy Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 10:20pm
post #11 of 23

barbo,
which fondant recipe are you to make your fondant ? I really like my marshmallow fondant, but am always looking for something new...especially if it tastes good, lol !

emisimmons Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 10:59pm
post #12 of 23

Dear Manotas,

I had the same problem with mm fondant too, it was really sloppy and gooey. I realize that mm fondant are only good to cover the cake and the cake board but definitely not for figurines and especially flowers. Until one day I found this wonderful rolled fondant recepi from Wilton. Just be careful whenever you kneading the sugar into the the dough, use your discretion of how soft/hard you want it to be ie. too much sugar will make it hard and too little will make it too soft (eventhough it says 2lb in the recepi and I didn't use the whole 2lb) So good luck with your fondant! icon_smile.gif

http://www.wilton.com/recipe/Rolled-Fondant-1

emisimmons

emisimmons Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 11:05pm
post #13 of 23

... and here's the video of rolled fondant. I used creme bouquet for the flavoring and everybody just simply looooove it!

emisimmons

GenGen Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 12:19am
post #14 of 23

this is the mmf recipe i always use. http://www.cakecentral.com/article47-How-to-Make-and-Decorate-with-Marshmallow-Fondant-MMF.html

it will vary from time to time but i found its usually cause of how much liquid i've used if i vary Any from it- sometimes i end up getting more PS mixed in- that will cause variations in results.. if i get it too dry i just work more crisco in it. if its hard to knead after resting- i put it in the microwave for 10 second intervals (depending on the amount i'm working with) to help soften it.

pinky317 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 5:05pm
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky317

Wow. Have you tried every fondant out there? You don't hand over a cake to a client or otherwise and then tell everyone that something on the cake is going to taste bad.

When people would come into my bakery with the "I heard that fondant tastes bad" line, I would pinch them off a piece of Pettinice or FondX fondant and let them try for themselves. Not a SINGLE person ever said it tasted bad, and today in fact, I delivered a cake for a lady who was one of the ones I won over in this manner, and she SPECIFICALLY ordered a fondant cake for her shower. Pettinice and FondX fondant tastes wonderful. So does Albert Uster. And Dark Chocolate. It's a matter of personal preference.

Well my clients are friends and family so yes I would warn them if I didnt think the taste was the best.

Manotas Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 4:33pm
post #16 of 23

Thank you so much everybody for your wonderful help and support.

To my surprise mostly everyone ate the fondant, I guess when mixed it the taste improved.

I tried to attached a picture of the cake here but couldn't. It is in my gallery; the very bright pink one.

Rosie2 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 4:44pm
post #17 of 23

Manotas, the cake is sooo very cute! but didn't leave you a comment since you have your comments turned off.

BTW, your nick is cool LOL icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

brensmom12 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 4:53pm
post #18 of 23

I think it turned out great!

lecrn Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 5:00pm
post #19 of 23

I think Fondarific is the best fondant that I've ever tasted! I think it's a little harder to work with. Have you tried buttercream flavored?
I also love Fondyx. It's much cheaper, easy to work with, and tastes pretty good with some added flavoring.
I don't think that i would use a product that I didn't think tasted good. I always let people try a little piece of the fondant to see if they like it. I think that it's a texture problem for most people. They're used to eating buttercream covered cakes.

Manotas Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 5:11pm
post #20 of 23

I never notices the comments were turned off, ops.

The fondant I used was supposed to be the buttercream flavored, but when I tasted it I could feel the coloring taste in it.

If I have to go this way again, I just buy plain white and color it myself.

lecrn Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 5:32pm
post #21 of 23

The fondant I used was supposed to be the buttercream flavored, but when I tasted it I could feel the coloring taste in it.

If I have to go this way again, I just buy plain white and color it myself.[/quote]

I've just tried the wedding white buttercream and colored it myself.
I had some problems with it sticking and emailed the company directly. It took them about a month, but they emailed me back (apologizing profusely). They are sending me the same amt of fondarific for free. The rep. said she had no idea why I had the sticking problems and wanted me to try another batch. I didn't ask for the free fondant. I just emailed to see if I had done something wrong in the preparation.
I may start mixing the Fondarific with some Wilton to get more for my money and still have a great taste.

mommynana Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 6:03pm
post #22 of 23

i have tryed the jello MMF and the taste is great, and im not a fan of fondant, i forgot who posted that they just put the jello in the MM when melted instead of being deluded first and it came out great, the taste was soooo much better thumbs_up.gif

barbo127 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 9:09pm
post #23 of 23

KKristy, OOOPS, I forgot that the fondant recipe that I use is Wilton's recipe. You should be able to find it on their website or any of their cake decorating books. It is awesome to work with and taste very good. It does not have the box or plastic taste to it. If you cannot find it, just let me know and I will give it too you. You can E-mail my daughter at [email protected] Laurie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%