New Wilton Fondant/gumpaste Class...cake Question

Decorating By lvspaisley Updated 13 Jun 2010 , 5:55pm by Polarcakes

lvspaisley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvspaisley Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 11:47pm
post #1 of 9

I just started the "new" fondant/gumpaste class. I have finished the fondant bow. However, I have no idea what the "final cake" looks like and I don't want mine to look like everybody else's. I am going to probably redo the bow with scalloped edges and probably tint it a different color than white.

Can someone post the final picture of the cake you did? Does it use the flowers we spend making or the bow? My instructor only said it's round. I just want to be ahead of the game!

Thanks!

8 replies
KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 11:50pm
post #2 of 9

Can you look at the end of your book for the class?

lvspaisley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvspaisley Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 12:13am
post #3 of 9

The book has several different cakes, no specific one, which is what confuses me...the "old" class had ONE cake, not 9 LOL

jqorso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jqorso Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 1:24am
post #4 of 9

I'm a WMI and I encourage my students to come up with their own design using the skills they will learn throughout the course. I like this better than the old way of everyone doing the same one. This lets you be more creative. Have fun with it and as you learn new things, take mental notes on what you want on that final cake.

Vanessa7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanessa7 Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 1:48am
post #5 of 9

When I completed course three we could choose from a several different cakes and/or combine skills we'd learned in the class. I say have fun with it and be creative! Good luck!

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 1:59am
post #6 of 9

I took the class a few years back. We were told we could do one from the book or go out on our own.

This was my final for the fondant/gumpaste class.
LL

picakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
picakes Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 3:29pm
post #7 of 9

I'm taking this course right now, too. Our instructor had us look at the cakes in the back of the book and select which one we were going to make after the first class so we'd know what decorations we needed to make and save to complete our final cake. She's also completely open to us doing our own thing. I made the bow in the first class, but I'm not using it on my final cake. It was great experience to learn the bow and the other flowers, so I'm just learning the skills and then I'll make extra daisies because that's what I plan on using for my final cake. You might check with your instructor to find out what your class will be doing (all one cake, picking a cake from the gallery or doing your own thing). That should help you decide what to keep as you go along.

mmdiez10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdiez10 Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 3:51pm
post #8 of 9

I would say that the final cake can be a design of your choice, making sure to use the skills you acquired in the course. What the instructors want to see is that you learned the techniques and were able to apply them. Have fun with it, don't try to be like everybody else.

Polarcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polarcakes Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 5:55pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdiez10

I would say that the final cake can be a design of your choice, making sure to use the skills you acquired in the course. What the instructors want to see is that you learned the techniques and were able to apply them. Have fun with it, don't try to be like everybody else.

This is what my instructor told me as well. I wanted to do a cake not in the book, and she said as long as I rolled my fondant/gumpaste more thin than I had been doing in class, then I could do my own thing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%