Black Icing Vs Black Fondant

Decorating By arsing1 Updated 12 Jun 2010 , 9:12pm by arsing1

arsing1 Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 8:34pm
post #1 of 5

I have a lady requesting a 50th birthday cake and she wants it to be black with gold lettering.

I know trying to do it in black buttercream will leave everyone's mouths purple.

I've never used black fondant. Will the black fondant leave everyone with purple mouths too?

Which one would be better?

Thanks!

4 replies
CWR41 Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 5

Good question! Sorry I don't know the answer about black fondant, I've never eaten it, but I wouldn't want to tint that much for covering an entire cake. If you go that route, definitely buy premade black instead of trying to color it your own homemade.

I'd suggest using an airbrush to spray your entire cake, whether using fondant or buttercream. You'll use very little coloring that way since it's not combined throughout all of it. You'll be able to achieve a true black color also, that hopefully won't look grayish or greenish.

arsing1 Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 8:59pm
post #3 of 5

I would definately order the premade black fondant.

I didn't think about airbrushing it. Probably because I don't have an airbrush, lol.

I have seen the ColorMist sprays at the craft stores. Does anyone know if they work as well as an airbrush??

CWR41 Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 9:09pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsing1

I have seen the ColorMist sprays at the craft stores. Does anyone know if they work as well as an airbrush??

Not at all. I thought it might be more convenient to use or just to have around, so I bought several. Half of the tips wouldn't spray at all, and the black is no where near true black color. If you try 3 coats, it still won't be black and you'll get runs and uneven splotches.

arsing1 Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 9:12pm
post #5 of 5

Ewww. Ok. Thanks for that warning.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%