Pillow Cake For 40 People???????????

Decorating By karenapple Updated 16 Jun 2010 , 3:01pm by LeckieAnne

karenapple Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenapple Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 6:17pm
post #1 of 5

I want to make a square pillow cake for 40 people, but I only have round pans, so which size I should use to make that amount of servings?
It's a 5th grade graduation cake with 3 fondant girls on top of it, so, it has to be a little big to fit the girls with no falling icon_razz.gif and still feed 40...

I have the weird feeling that nobody eats the corners icon_smile.gif

4 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 2:36am
post #2 of 5

well a 10" square would serve 50 before carving. And the diagonal dimension of a 10" square is 14". So if you're starting with a round cake you'll want to start with at least a 14" round, maybe 16", then cut your square cake out of that, and then do your carving for the pillow.

I think this is what you were looking for. Or I may be off, it's getting late and going on LITTLe sleep today

karenapple Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenapple Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 1:36am
post #3 of 5

hi Leily, thanks for the answer!!
I do have a 14'' pan and I was thinking of doing what you said... but here is the thing... I'm afraid it's not gonna be enough... this is a present cake so I don't want to buy another huge pan only for this... i don't sell cakes yet, and just with my practicing I had bought so many pans that I don't use as often as I wish... and another one it's not what i want lolol
SO I was thinking about making what's possible from the 14'' as you said, and make a small pillow cake just in case it's not gonna be enough...
Is that a good idea? or it sounds weird?
Something like an 6'' pillow cake...
I just don't know how I could present them...
I could dowel them, but better no... I've never tried a pillow cake, a tiered pillow cake could be too much for the first time.
And I don't know if put them a side would be nice... or maybe just two independent cakes..
Help, please!! I can't decide!!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 2:40pm
post #4 of 5

If you're looking for more cake, what about doing a 2" layer of cake under the pillow?

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 3:01pm
post #5 of 5

Do you have a regular 9x13 metal casserole pan? You could cut it out of those and maybe not waste quite as much cake. Since you'd only be doing one teir - you shouldn't have a problem really with the seam of putting cakes together.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%