Melting Bc

Baking By jlkallred Updated 14 Jun 2010 , 1:17am by cutthecake

jlkallred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlkallred Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 6:02pm
post #1 of 8

So, I had a cake disaster and I don't know what happened! Tried a new BC recipe (my first mistake!), a crusting cream cheese BC. It did crust, but didn't firm up, so I couldn't smooth it. AND, it's sort of sliding down the sides of the cake and bulging in places icon_mad.gif ! I don't do many cakes and thankfully, this is for my granddaughter, so it's not that big of a deal (she's seen it and loves it). But still....all that work! I used more PS than the recipe called for, which made it too sweet, IMO. Any suggestions/ideas (other than not using that recipe anymore). Most of the reviews raved about the recipe....Is there some way to firm up BC w/out adding more PS?

7 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 6:19pm
post #2 of 8

First, I never understood the "add more sugar and it turns too sweet" thing because icing is all sugar. When I add more sugar, it gets thicker, not sweeter. But anyway ....... icon_smile.gif

Cream Cheese icing was the bain of my existence. Never had good luck with it. hated working with it. Started charging extra for it just to cover the time I wasted cussing it out while I worked with it.

jlkallred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlkallred Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 1:57am
post #3 of 8

LOL...I would do the same thing! Guess I'll just stick to my tried and true recipe that I always have luck with (I really don't like all that swearing going on in my head!)
BTW~I like your Joyce Meyer quote...She comes up w/ some great ones!!

emccle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emccle Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 2:05am
post #4 of 8

What about a bc icing (not cream cheese) that's supposed to crust but doesn't? Should I add more sugar to increase the ratio of sugar/shortening?

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 2:43am
post #5 of 8

Tonight I learned how tough it is to put fondant over non-crusting cream cheese frosting. It was a nightmare. I had to throw out a big clump of Satin Ice because it was covered with the cream cheese frosting. I finally got it to work, but it took way longer than it should have. Lesson learned: Use only crusting buttercream (or ganache) under fondant.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 11:06am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by emccle

What about a bc icing (not cream cheese) that's supposed to crust but doesn't? Should I add more sugar to increase the ratio of sugar/shortening?

yes.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 12:07pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

...Lesson learned: Use only crusting buttercream (or ganache) under fondant.

Why? What was the issue you had? I always only use non-crusting BC under fondant and it works like a dream for me.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 1:17am
post #8 of 8

I had to reposition the fondant, and it stuck to the cake, then ripped. I had to take the fondant completely off the cake, but couldn't re-roll it because it was covered in cream cheese. The second batch worked fine, but I wasted a big glob of Satin-Ice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%