1St Time Ever To Carve A Cake- Skateboard Ramp- Emergency!

Decorating By dolceb Updated 13 Jun 2010 , 12:21am by sadsmile

dolceb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolceb Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 5:34pm
post #1 of 4

for 20 people...12x9 bottom and on up,,, maybe 4 tiers high... do I dowel all layers? Requsted a general yellow cake, thinking of chiffon.. a little de- nser, and fondant to cover, wants buttercreme filling. ?? This is my first carved cake.. I have the time, planning to bake today and carve tomorrow, she wants it Monday about 11am!
Oh yes, and I guess a gumpaste person with a skate board. I have to make the person 'brown'... would it be best to use chocolate fondant or gumpaste to get the color right? (I never did a person either!)
icon_surprised.gif

3 replies
SugarFiend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFiend Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 5:52pm
post #2 of 4

Dowel, yes. The general rule of thumb is to dowel every 4" of cake. The WASC recipes here on CC are quite good for carving.

If you only have until Monday, then you might not want to use straight fondant for the figure - it *might* not dry in time, depending on its size. Gumpaste might be a safer bet.

Good luck!

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 11:52pm
post #3 of 4

Gumpaste will dry faster for you, or mix gumpaste and fondant 50/50, or add tylose powder to your fondant. As Sugarfiend said WASC is a denser cake for carving, you will need something denser to be able to carry the weight of stacking over 4", carving, and covering with fondant. You will need to use dowels or bubble tea straws for anything over 4". HTH Good Luck!

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 12:21am
post #4 of 4

Woah... one tier consists of about 4" of cake which can be two or multiple(thinner) layers with filling/frosting in between. Are you doing four layers or 4 tiers? If you are doing 4 layers how tall are your are the layers going to be? You may be able to get up to 5-6 inches without sagging in the cake if the cake is sturdy, the filling is a thick consistency and there are no additional decorations to weigh/pull it down. The skate cake I did was three 2 " layers stacked up with butter cream filling and carved and covered in fondant. most of the top layer was carved away, but parts of it was 6"-7" tall.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%